Precocious Puberty

When should Histrelin implant be removed in precocious puberty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female. I was diagnosed seven years ago for central precocious puberty and was treated with three annual implants of Histrelin. The third implant still has not been removed after about four years. I have looked at procedure guidelines online that say that the implant must be re...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Histrelin implant should have been removed after one year. Please speak about this to your doctor. Histrelin implant is a synthetic analogue of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist. It works by decreasing the production of certain hormones, which reduces e...  Read Full »

Is it possible to experience puberty signs at the age of 9 by a girl child?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter just turned 9. She has been complaining about lower abdomen cramps, and I have noticed a few things changing. Is it possible that she is getting ready to start something and should we be prepared? She is only 9, but I have heard of other little girls starting puberty earli...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can well understand your concern. It is not too young for her to get started with the signs of puberty. Usually, girls start puberty between 9 and 14 years. And she has started at 9; this is fine and in range. I will instead ask you to confirm about her pubic hair an...  Read Full »

I feel I have been through precocious puberty. Will I be able to grow still taller?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 15-year-old boy. I have questions regarding my hormones and my puberty. I am scared that I feel as if I may have been through precocious puberty as I have had a beard since I was a late 13 years old. Will I be able to grow still taller, and is there any way my hormones can be r...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Precocious puberty can be called when the onset of puberty is eight years or below for girls and nine years or below for boys. The beginning is not synonymous with a growing beard, which is a more advanced stage. Staging is usually done with a scoring system called t...  Read Full »

My 6.3 year old daughter has breast buds. Will Lupron injections help her?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was 6.3 years old when I noticed that she has breast buds. After consulting the pediatric endocrinologist, we went for bone age and pelvic ultrasound tests. Both the tests were age appropriate. She is 4.03 feet tall, and I am 5.6 feet, and my husband is 5.10 feet tall. As ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your daughter, and it appears that your daughter has precocious puberty and therefore it is necessary to give Lupron (Leuprolide acetate) injections. The problem is, if she continues without treatment, then she will reach a bone maturity so...  Read Full »

What will be the future effect of early puberty?

Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my younger daughter's health and I would like to get a second opinion before I take any decision. My younger daughter was 1 year 6 months old when she came to this new place. Last year, when she was 5 years old we had to do a physical examination for getting admiss...  Read Full »

Dr. Vera Zdravkovic

Endocrinologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would agree with doctors that this is precocious puberty and signs of puberty and bone age progressed since recently (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am confused with hormonal results, could it be mistaken that these are entered in a wrong spot, becau...  Read Full »

Are there remedies to stop early maturity?

Query: Hi doctor, My granddaughter became obese last year. The doctors detected some thyroid problem. After taking the pills she became normal. Now, she is expected to have early maturity. She is 6 years now. Before three years she had a head injury. But, she was normal and it was ignored. What treatment ...  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hypothyroidism itself can be one of the causes of this prematurity. When have you got thyroid levels done? I suggest you to repeat if not done recently. What is the height of the child and her current weight? How much dose of thyroid hormone you are giving?   Read Full »