Q. Can CMV be the cause of echogenic fetal bowel?

Dr. Umamaheshwari Mrutyunjaya Nilange
Published on Jun 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

At my 17 week ultrasound, the baby had an echogenic bowel. I was offered for level two ultrasound on the same day. Other than echogenic bowel, I had a normal scan. After that, I was suggested for the quadruple test, which came back low risk (1:2226). At my 19 week ultrasound, echogenic bowel was still present but not that much bright seen than the 17th-week scan.

So, we were referred for genetic counseling. Genetic counseller also performed a detailed scan and told that everything was normal but there was mild echogenic bowel present. She told that due to an infection that it may happen. So I had a TORCH test. In that result, everything was within normal range except CMV IgG. My CMV IgG was 83.7. Will this CMV cause echogenic bowel in the baby? WIll it affect the baby's health? I am very much worried about this result. So I did amniocentesis this week. The result has not yet come. Will amniocentesis identify the infection in the baby? Please explain.

Dr. Umamaheshwari Mrutyunjaya Nilange

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You have undergone level two ultrasound twice by radiologist and geneticists. So, you need not worry.

Your triple marker report shows low risk which means there is 99.99 percent no problem.

The TORCH (toxoplasmosis, other infections, rubella, cytomegalovirus, and herpes simplex) test shows CMV (cytomegalovirus) IgG (immunoglobulin G) positive.

It is of no significance as it indicates a past infection before pregnancy and you have already gained immunity against that so it is not the cause for any infection.

Amniocentesis you have already done it.

You can request the generic counselor for karyotype of the sample taken.

It will rule out any chromosomal anomaly. It takes nearly three weeks for karyotype report to come.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Intermenstrual Bleeding or Spotting - Is it Normal or Should I be Worried?

Article Overview: Intermenstrual vaginal bleeding or spotting or bleeding between periods is considered abnormal and may usually require a patient seeing a doctor. It is also termed metrorrhagia. Normally, a woman has a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days with ranges between 21-35 days considered normal and menses can last for 2-7 days. Any bleeding out of these are considered abnormal.  Read Article

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Causes of Intermenstrual bleeding: Intermenstrual bleeding or bleeding between periods can be caused by a vast number of factors which may be physical or organic and psychosocial. If you are experiencing intermenstrual bleeding, then your doctor maybe a able to rule out one of the below most probab...  Read Article

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article

Is nasal bone length an indicator of Down's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My quadruple test is normal. After 23 weeks of gestation, I took an anomaly scan, which shows 3.6 mm nasal bone. Is the nasal bone underdeveloped? What are the chances of Down's syndrome? We do not want to get an amniocentesis test done as it increases the chance of miscarriage. Previous...  Read Full »