Cytomegalovirus

Is CMIA test accurate?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor has recommended western blot for HIV-1 and HIV-2 as a screening test. The RIBA test was negative for HIV, after 16 weeks of exposure. I also had a negative CMIA test, after 12 weeks post exposure. Hepatitis and STD panel are also negative. Is a negative western blot 100 % ac...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Western blot is highly sensitive and specific test, which is run after a repeatedly reactive ELISA or HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) rapid test. Western blot test is not used as a diagnostic test in the absence of an initial positive screening test, due to the rar...  Read Full »

Maternal serum is reactive for CMV. How to diagnose the same in a 10 weeks old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, I delivered a baby ten weeks ago which weighed 2.0 kilograms at birth, and it was a pre-term cesarean delivery. The baby was healthy according to the attending pediatrician at the time of delivery, and the baby was not taken to the NICU. I got a maternal blood report which was taken duri...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. CMV (cytomegalovirus) IgG and IgM suggests that you have cytomegalovirus infection and it can spread to the baby. 90 % of infections are asymptomatic. But 5...  Read Full »

Can HSV positive cause abortion?

Query: Hi doctor, Myself and my wife got tested for chromosome test as my wife had failed premature delivery. The test result indicates that we are HSV IgG positive, CMV and rubella positive. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This indicates that TORCH infections (toxoplasmosis, other - syphilis, etc., rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes) might have caused the premature delivery or stillbirth. HSV (herpes simplex virus) causes herpes, CMV is cytomegalovirus and rubella is another viral...  Read Full »

Can CMV be the cause of echogenic fetal bowel?

Query: Hello doctor, At my 17 week ultrasound, the baby had an echogenic bowel. I was offered for level two ultrasound on the same day. Other than echogenic bowel, I had a normal scan. After that, I was suggested for the quadruple test, which came back low risk (1:2226). At my 19 week ultrasound, echogeni...  Read Full »

Dr. Umamaheshwari Mrutyunjaya Nilange

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have undergone level two ultrasound twice by radiologist and geneticists. So, you need not worry. Your triple marker report shows low risk which means there is 99.99 percent no problem. The TORCH (toxoplasmosis, other infections, rubella, cytomegalovirus, a...  Read Full »

Can CMV or herpes infection before or after birth affect pregnancy or child?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in 36th week of pregnancy. My last ultrasound was doppler happened at 34th week 5 days. I showed the pregnancy of 32 weeks 5 days with mild IUGR. Fetal weight 1885 grams. My gynecologist advised CBC, and Torch IgM, IgG tests. In the CBC test, total leucocyte count is 13300/cumm, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini Ekatpure

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby growth is lagging behind. I need weekly no stress test and ultrasound with doppler every 10 days. Do the following things for baby's well being. Maintain daily baby kick count and note down between 9 AM to 9 PM. Blood pressure monitoring on an alternate day. U...  Read Full »

Please look at TORCH test results and tell if there is any concern.

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 6 months pregnant. She underwent TORCH test as there were two miscarriages in the past after one normal delivery. The result of the test is as follows:Toxo Plasma-IgM: 4.30, Rubella IgM: 11.80, CMV IgM: 5.80, HSV 1 and 2 IgM: 0.58;Toxo Plasma-IgG: 3.60 iu/ml, Rubella IgG: 139...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your wife's TORCH (toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex, and HIV) test reports. There are two types of antibodies that were investigated, IgG and IgM to exclude infection. The result could be positive or negative, it depends on...  Read Full »

Can CMV and Epstein-Barr virus cause genital ulcers?

Query: Hello doctor, I have three questions. 1) Can cytomegalovirus and Epstein Barr virus cause genital ulcers? 2) My immunoglobulins were low for IgM at 25 and high for IgE at 151. Could there be anything to worry? 3) I am sending a picture of something that appeared in my mouth. Could that be...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With your descriptions and the picture attached, it seems you have candidiasis or oral lichen planus. The CMV (cytomegalovirus) and EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) both d...  Read Full »

I get a bad fever every time I kiss somebody. Will this condition eventually go away?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old woman. Every time I kiss someone, even just a peck or someone I have kissed before, I get a bad fever that sometimes lasts up to a week, nausea, and fatigue that makes me sleep almost all day and night. I have only kissed about three people. Will this go away eventua...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be due to Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). It typically occurs in teenagers, but you can get it at any age. The virus is spread through saliva, which is why some people call it 'the kissing disease.' I would like to enlighten you about few other diseases you can get ...  Read Full »

The IgG values on TORCH test are high. When can we plan pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was pregnant last year, but we had to drop. After dropping pregnancy, we consulted our gynecologist and he suggested us to have TORCH test. The result of TORCH before eight months was rubella IgG 40.62 and IgM 0.62, CMV IgG 8.89 and IgM 0.28 and herpes IgG 2.97 and IgM 0.56. W...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rubella, CMV (cytomegalovirus) and herpes IgG positivity (immunoglobulin G) indicate that she had these infections in the past and now is immune to them. These infections will not happen again except herpes. Nothing needs to be done for these reports and you can go ahead...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for my preterm labor?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a premature pregnancy in the 6th month. That was my first pregnancy. Suddenly, I had a stomach pain in the lower side and no other symptoms were found. We visited our doctor and she said that the cervix started to open slightly. I got severe pain, some medicines were given that nigh...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rubella or CMV infections (cytomegalovirus) generally do not cause midtrimester abortion, so are very less likely to be causative in your case. Rubella and CMV IgG values indicate that you have immunity to those infections and they likely had occurred in the remote past a...  Read Full »