Q. Can I get pregnant with an endometrial thickness of 5 mm?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2019

I had irregular periods. All my other test reports are normal such as LH, FSH, AMH, thyroid and FBS. I had done pelvis transvaginal sonography three days back, but last period date was 28 days back. My report summary is as follows. Pelvis shows an anteverted, uterus with central endometrial canal. The uterus measures 56x29x34 mm. The endometrial thickness measures 5 mm. Both the ovaries were well visualized and appeared bulky with multiple small follicles noted in parenchyma. Right ovary measures 38x24x37 mm, volume measures 17.4 cu mm. Left ovary measures 40x22x33 mm, volume measures 14.7 cu mm. There is no free fluid in cul-de-sac. Is everything normal? Will I be able to get pregnant? I am 30 years old and married for 4 years. I have not been pregnant earlier and have been trying for baby since 3 months only. Currently, I am taking Folic acid and other vitamin supplements. Please advise.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Your endometrial thickness of 5 mm is very less to support pregnancy. With Progesterone supplements, it is possible to maintain pregnancy.
  • However, it can be slightly difficult to conceive. I suggest you to go for ovulation induction, as it will help.
  • Also, I would like to know your husband's semen analysis report so that I can know his status as well.

| 

I am yet to do the semen analysis for my husband. Could you please tell me about my ovaries as well as follicles? I understand that endometrial thickness varies depending on which phase we are going though like menstrual or luteal. Doctor has suggested me to take one medicine to have on third day of my periods to induce ovulation. But I am little scared, as I heard it might lead to multiple pregnancy. Please advise my further course of action in relation to this. Should I take this ovulation induction medicine prescribed by doctor? Kindly let me know, if any other special advice you would like to give me that will help in my further course of treatment. Thank you.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

On day 22 your endometrial thickness should be high, yours is very less. It is even lesser than what is expected after menses. It is more like the way, it would appear in a postmenopausal woman. Ovulation induction can work but, even before that you need to get your husband tested. No treatment of infertility can be initiated before testing both partners. Your treatment will not be effective, if your husband's semen is not optimum.

Also you are correct regarding the side effects of these medicines to cause multiple pregnancy. But this effect is seen lesser with Clomiphene citrate (Clomid). I can guide you better only after seeing all your reports along with your husband's and prescriptions of all treatments you have already tried.

|