Q. I have a thick endometrium and no gestational sac. Can I be pregnant?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I took a home pregnancy test 44 days after my last LMP. I underwent my pelvic scan today and it says I have no gestational sac and have a thick endometrium. I have very mild bleeding for the past two days and slight press on my right lower abdomen. My doctor has suggested me to take hCG at a lab and I was also told my periods will come anytime. My concern is that I have a flight journey of seven hours in another 48 hours. Is it safe to travel? What are the precautions that I need to exercise?

#

You can definitely take a long flight. What you had was a biochemical pregnancy meaning pregnancy hormones only in blood and urine and not on the scan.

Urine pregnancy is positive when the blood level of beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) hormone is 25 IU/mL. But only if the baby is healthy and gets a good place to sit in the uterus, will it produce the beta hCG at the expected rate and only when the level is more than 1500 IU/mL, it can be seen on the scan.

As pregnancy was not so healthy, urine pregnancy test was weakly positive and I am sure the beta hCG will be negative or very low as it is supposed to be more than 3000 IU/mL at six weeks.

You might have taken some hormone pills for pregnancy growth. This along with hormone form failing pregnancy will make endometrium thicker.

If you do not want to have the bleeding during the flight, you can continue hormones like Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) twice a day until you reach the destination.

After few days of stopping the pills, you will have thick fleshy bleeding with clots. There is nothing to worry about.

If you do not mind the bleeding, keep a few extra pads handy.

You can also take some antispasmodic medicines like Cyclopam (Dicyclomine and Paracetamol) or Spasmo Proxyvon (Dicyclomine, Paracetamol, and Tramadol) or Hyocimax (Hyoscine butylbromide) or Drotin (Drotaverine) two to three times as a precaution. Some may have slightly painful lower abdominal cramps. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

You need to have a lot of fluids, water, juices, tea, and coffee. Try to relax whenever possible. You may feel the tiredness which is seen during normal periods.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|