Q. Is white discharge after sex indicative of pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I had intercourse with my partner during her first week of menstruation, and she took an emergency contraceptive pill. She is on her periods but has a white discharge instead of bleeding. Is she pregnant, or is this usual?

#

I understand your concern.

I suggest you ask your partner to do a urine pregnancy test with the first urine of the day. Do not drink too much fluid before the test. Adhere to all guidelines written on the package of the pregnancy test kit. Most likely, it should come negative, and it will ease your stress. As far as the white discharge is concerned. Please tell me when was her last period. How many days cycle does she normally have? I want to tell you that emergency contraceptive pills are hormone-based and have few side effects. So delay in menstruation is normal and varies from person to person. It can delay up to 15 days. Also, tell me whether she had experienced the discharge earlier as well. Has she taken the emergency contraceptive pill before?

Thank you for the reply.

Her previous menstruation had been three weeks prior. This was her first time using contraception pills.

#

I understand your concern.

Please do not worry if she has a thick white discharge. This is a common side effect of emergency contraceptive pills. However, it does happen on occasion. Also, she has just taken the pill and is stressed. Therefore she is noticing everything. What is more important is to conduct a urine pregnancy test to set your mind at ease.

|