Q. Is there any way to avoid pregnancy other than medical abortion during very early pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I want to ask a question regarding myself. The last time I got periods was before four months; my boyfriend and I got intimated a month before, but we have used the pull-out method. No sperm was released, but my period is almost eight to nine days late, so we are worried whether I am pregnant or any chances of getting pregnant because of precum? Also, is there any medicine I can take to avoid pregnancy except medical abortion because we are at a very early stage? And after how many days can we have a pregnancy test? And to mention that I have used the Plan-B pill three months back.

#

I understand your concern.

I am grateful for the details presented. However, I further request you to please share how many days cycle you have and if you have any history of irregular periods?

Further, please see for getting pregnant, the sperms have to be released inside the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg. The fertilized egg is then required to be implanted in the female's uterus. When all this happens successfully, a female is said to be pregnant. Based on the details, I would like to tell you that even precum contains adequate sperm to result in pregnancy. So, although you guys have used the withdrawal method, that is not a trusted way of birth control. So there is a likelihood of pregnancy. Earliest you can check for pregnancy is around two weeks from the period date. So check around the first week of January by blood pregnancy test or at home by the urine pregnancy test. However, periods can be delayed due to other reasons like stress, PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome), medication, hormonal imbalance, etc. So please wait for pregnancy confirmation before deciding on any abortion method or pills.

Do not worry. I am always there for you.

Please share the details as requested above for better assessment and to enable me to help you better.

|