iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInfertilitypregnancyI am a 27-year-old woman who had an implant inserted and removed a few years ago. Can the remaining rod still cause problems despite its expiration?

Can a woman have problems conceiving if the implant is left in place inside the mouth?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 19, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 8, 2024

Patient's Query

I am a 27-year-old woman with a weight of 105.82 pounds. and a height of 4 feet and 11.84 inches. I had a jadel implant inserted. I had one rod removed a few years ago, but the other one was left in place because it was inserted under a muscle. I have been trying to conceive a baby, but I have been unsuccessful. I wonder if the remaining rod can still be effective despite its expiration. Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Balakrishnan R

Thank you for your query.

I see that you have many positive factors for pregnancy, such as being within the optimal age range for conception (19-35 years) and having a healthy weight. Since you have been off contraception, if your periods are regular, it indicates that the contraceptive method you were using (Jadel) is not releasing any hormones into your body. However, if you experience irregular periods or notice a decrease in the amount of bleeding, it may be necessary to remove the Jadel device. Although it may require some effort to locate and remove it, it is important to ensure its presence does not affect your chances of conception.

Keep in mind that there could be other factors contributing to the difficulty in getting pregnant. To further investigate potential causes, it is important to check if the following checklist of investigations has been conducted:

For the husband:

1. Semen analysis should be performed at least twice, with a four-week interval between tests. It is preferable to have the examination conducted by an andrologist at an infertility center.

2. Blood sugar levels should be checked.

For the wife:

Blood sugar levels and thyroid profile should be evaluated.

For both partners:

Ultrasound scans should be conducted to evaluate the uterus, ovaries, and adnexa.

The most crucial investigation is to confirm tubal patency, as the fallopian tubes play a vital role in the connection between the uterus and ovaries, where sperm meets the egg to form a baby. Due to their small size, the tubes can easily become blocked. Options to assess tubal patency include HSG (hysterosalpingography, an X-ray with dye), SSG (sonosalpingography, a scan with dye), or laparoscopy.

If all the investigations yield normal results, it indicates that there are no obstacles in preventing you from getting pregnant, and conception can occur with the will of God.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Balakrishnan R
Dr. Balakrishnan R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

pregnancydelayed conception

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Infertility

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy