Q. Can Epilim cause bleeding during pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I am 13 weeks pregnant. I am on 800 mg Epilim per day that is 400 mg in the morning and 400 mg at night. I have had threatened miscarriage and more spotting. Can Epilim cause bleeding in pregnancy?

#

• Epilim - Sodium valproate, although have many side effects, bleeding during pregnancy is not a known side effect. I mean to say that Epilim causing bleeding during pregnancy is just a remote possibility if any.
  • I take this opportunity to inform you that Epilim should be avoided in pregnancy as it is a known teratogen.
  • It can cause serious side effect to baby if used during pregnancy, particularly first trimester.
  • I understand that your doctor prescribed Folic acid to prevent those side effects, but still there is a risk and regular monitoring should be continued if Epilim prescription is necessary.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|