Q. Can Olanzapine and Dicorate be continued in pregnant woman with bipolar disorder?

Published on Mar 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My sister is suffering from bipolar disorder for the last 10 years and is presently in stable condition with Olanzapine 2.5 mg and Dicorate 250 mg one tablet each per day during night. However, recently she came to know about her pregnancy and her doctor asked her to check with a psychiatrist if she can continue her bipolar medication or not. If not, what is the alternative treatment?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

First of all, I would like to inform you that Dicorate (Divalproex sodium) should be avoided as far as possible during pregnancy. This is because of neural tube defects caused in offspring during pregnancy. The above statement is very important during the first trimester of pregnancy. I would also like to inform you that Olanzapine is largely safe during pregnancy and there is no data supporting any adverse effect of Olanzapine during pregnancy. Considering the above facts, I feel increasing the dose of Olanzapine and stopping of Dicorate is the possible strategy for your sister.

Since the increase or decrease in dose depends on multiple factors (body weight, previous episodes, response to medications, the severity of episodes, number of episodes, family history), it is not possible for anyone (including me) to speculate effective dose for an individual patient without examining all relevant factors. I request you to see her psychiatrist along with your sister for a final opinion.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Are my symptoms related to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?

Query: Hello doctor, Since I was around 8 years old, I have experienced mood fluctuations but not in the normal bipolar way (which I am being tested for). I do not feel like my mood sways between depression and mania. It is always some level of mania but without depression. I also experience tactile hallu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your psychiatrist is correct. Bipolar is a more likely diagnosis. Bipolar disorder need not be present with depression and mania both. Recurrent mania also comes under the category of bipolar disorder. In mania, our sensitivity to stimulation increases like colo...  Read Full

Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the symptoms can get exacerbated during pregnancy. Nexium is a relatively safe acid-suppressing drug in pregnancy. You can continue it when you have symptoms. The other alternative is tablet Ranitidine. You can add tablet Ondansetron 4 mg twice daily for a week 30 mi...  Read Full