Q. Can I take Nexium for GERD beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Dr. Noushif. M

I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment and today my symptoms are worse than ever, and the acid is constantly in my throats and mouth. Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

#

Yes, the symptoms can get exacerbated during pregnancy. Nexium is a relatively safe acid-suppressing drug in pregnancy. You can continue it when you have symptoms. The other alternative is tablet Ranitidine. You can add tablet Ondansetron 4 mg twice daily for a week 30 minutes before food. This also helps in reducing reflux. The other safe alternative is Doxylamine tablet. Avoid heavy meals, rather take short frequent feeds. Stay upright or move around for one hour after feeds. Do not lie immediately after food. Avoid reflux promoting foods like excess coffee.

|