Q. Can I take Nexium for GERD beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Dr. Noushif M

I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment and today my symptoms are worse than ever, and the acid is constantly in my throats and mouth. Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

#

Yes, the symptoms can get exacerbated during pregnancy. Nexium is a relatively safe acid-suppressing drug in pregnancy. You can continue it when you have symptoms. The other alternative is tablet Ranitidine. You can add tablet Ondansetron 4 mg twice daily for a week 30 minutes before food. This also helps in reducing reflux. The other safe alternative is Doxylamine tablet. Avoid heavy meals, rather take short frequent feeds. Stay upright or move around for one hour after feeds. Do not lie immediately after food. Avoid reflux promoting foods like excess coffee.

| 

Why is there diarrhea and burps in a GERD patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor, a long time ago, said that I have GERD. It is an acid reflux condition. I get really disgusting burps that taste like rotten eggs and I get diarrhea. That will go on for about three hours and then I throw up and I feel fine. I take acid reducers but I still end up getting i...  Read Full »

Will Mensovit Plus tablet affect getting pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the side effect of Mensovit Plus tablet? Does it effect seriously on getting pregnant in future?  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»