Q. Having kell antigens in blood during pregnancy cause any permanent effect in babies?

My partner is pregnant with twins of 22 weeks. She has kell antigens in her blood received from a transfusion when my first son is born. I did a blood test last week, and I also have a kell group present in my blood. Do my babies are safe? What can be done to help them? Are there any permanent effects that would inhibit them from having a healthy life? I am scared after knowing it. Please help me.

#

Kell blood group is a minor blood group system. ABO and Rh are called major blood group system. Kell antigen can be antigenic and can create a problem during a blood transfusion or else it may not create any problem. So there is no need for having a specific treatment. Whenever your child requires a blood transfusion, the blood bank should find the right blood suitable for your child as per cross match report. Please mention the blood group of your partner and first child. If the mother is Rh negative and the child is Rh positive, then there is a chance to have a hemolytic disease of a newborn, and it requires anti D.

|