Q. Will our blood group combination create a problem at the time of conceiving?

Published on Apr 25, 2018

I am going to marry next month. Actually, problem is, I have A +ve blood group and she has B -ve blood group. So, I want to know, will this blood group combination create a problem at a time of conceiving to the mother and the fetus in the future?

Hematology Pathology
#

You are having a positive group and your wife is having a negative group. So, in the first pregnancy, it will not create any problem in the mother or child. But, sensitization to Rh antigen can occur and mother forms antibody against Rh D antigen.

If she conceives for the second time, then the fetus can have severe hemolytic transfusion reaction by preformed Rh antibody. But, to avoid this complication, you have to take care that in the first pregnancy, she should be given anti Rh D immunoglobulin injection.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

What problems occur when a couple has different Rh factor?

Query: Hi doctor,My blood group is B positive. I am going to marry a person with B negative blood group. Is there any problem?  Read Full »

Can same blood group of parents cause any problem to baby?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife blood group are same A positive. And my wife is five months pregnant. I want to know that is there any problem with our baby?  Read Full »

Sickle Cell Disease - Screening and Marital Decisions

Article Overview: This article attempts to elaborate the situation of premarital couples who are concerned about their hemoglobin electrophoresis to predict their baby's genotypes with respect to the sickle cell disease. I picked this particular topic because a friend recently asked me what it meant for himself and his fiance to have sickle cell genotypes? On this article, I attempt to raise some clear points to address this issue and help patients reach an informed decision making, which will go a long way to help both their relationships and prevent giving birth to defective babies. Read Article

Dr. Nsah Bernard
Hematologist

Most couples during regular premarital consultations are concerned and anxious about sickle cell issue and often worried as to what the results mean, their implications on their relationship and especially their future babies. In premarital consultations, there are several other worrisome things to ...  Read Article

Ask a Hematologist Now