Q. Took placebo a week before my first mini-pill. Will it work?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

I am switching from a combined pill to POPs. I am switching due to a history of chronic migraines and the estrogen in the combined pill was not helping my migraines. I was instructed to take the placebo pill a week before starting the POPs, so I did. But now, after taking the first mini pill, I am reading that I should have started before the placebo week. I have already started my first week of POPs. So, how will they be affected? Will they still work? Should I use a backup method for a few weeks?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The idea is if you are switching from combined pills then during the placebo week you should be getting a withdrawal bleed. It shall indicate the start of a fresh cycle and then from day 2 of your cycle you can easily start your mini-pill pack (Progesterone pills).
  • If you have done so, then there is no need of any backup. Just, continue the mini-pill pack.,
  • If menses have not occurred and you started pill earlier, then still backup would not be required, but you may experience menses only after end of the mini-pill pack.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

If I had unprotected sex after missing birth control pill, could I be pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I accidentally missed one birth control pill. I have been on Levlen for many years, and this has never happened before. I did not realize until the next night the one from the day before was there, so I took both pills together. I had unprotected sex with my partner a day later, I hav...  Read Full »

What causes intermenstrual bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am not on any sort of birth control pills. I had a normal menstruation in the starting of this month and normal bleeding. After six to seven days, I started bleeding again. The bleeding was not very heavy, but lasted on and off for about six days. Now, after a gap o...  Read Full »