Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill

Combined oral contraceptive pills contain hormones estrogen and progesterone, and are used to prevent pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation.

I am on birth control, why do I have cramps and brown discharge?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently started taking the combination pill. I started the pill about a week before I was due to have my regular period. I had the pills regularly for eight days before I had unprotected sex. I took the pills at the same time every day with no issues and I am now two pills away from ...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I see that you have not been properly advised about taking the pill. Let me try to explain. Your body produces hormones cyclically with lots of ups and downs, and only then will you ovulate. These combined pills are the same hormones as what the bo...  Read Full »

Can birth control pills cause blood clots during periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been cycling on birth control pills for about four months. My gynecologist told me that if I experience spotting, I should stop taking the pills for three or four days to let everything come out, and then start back again. I experienced some pretty heavy spotting. So, I decided to...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? Do not worry. What you are having is the expulsion of the thick endometrium lining of the uterus. As days have passed without the shedding of the lining, the thickness of the endometrium has been increasing, which has to fall off one day. When you...  Read Full »

I have been taking contraceptive pills without break for three years. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking contraceptive pills (Yasmin) without seven days break for over three years now. I have not had my period in more than six months. I did not know about the break. What would be the side effect of doing so? And, should I stop taking it immediately even though I have not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Three years is a bit longer but up to one year without break is often given to treat certain disease like endometriosis. In your case, it may not cause any problems. Only that you may get late periods. You should complete the 21 days and then stop. You may get withdrawa...  Read Full »

Can I start Unwanted 21 after my periods?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I start Unwanted 21 after my periods? Four days back was my last day of period. My period cycle is usually for five to six days. Please suggest as I want to start my oral contraceptive.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Oral contraceptive pills are normally taken cyclically from day-5 of menses to day-24. I suggest taking tablet Norethisterone 10 mg twice daily similarly in every cycle. Oral contraceptives are ideally started from the start of a cycle, but if you want to start, sta...  Read Full »

What is the difference between birth control and combined contraceptive pills?

Query: Hi doctor,I had a question about birth control for acne. I was initially on Tri-sprintec. However, that did not help my acne. My doctor initially prescribed my YAZ. I was wondering if I should just stop birth control altogether or give Lo-Lo a try. What is the difference between birth controls and h...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Birth control contraceptive pills are hormonal pills that help to prevent conception by interfering with the normal menstrual cycle and inhibits ovulation, conception, fertilization, and implantation. These pills are hormonal contraceptive pills that have generalized as...  Read Full »

I want some premarital advice. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old and soon I am going to get married. My doubts are, what are the birth control methods I can follow. What precaution should I follow for short-term and long-term birth control? May I know the difficulties which a girl face during her periods? I have no idea about that. S...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. Regarding birth control, you can use a condom or your wife can use oral contraceptive pill OCP. There are several brands having no major difference so use easily available one. These are the two best suitable for newlyweds. It ...  Read Full »

Can I have IUD along with birth control pill?

Query: Hi doctor, Right now, I am not on any birth control method except for the rhythm method. I have tried multiple birth control methods in the past, such as the implant, the pill, the ring, the patch and had annoying side effects with each of them. I had spotting that would not go away with the ring an...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have described elaborately about your experience about all the contraceptives. Truly speaking, each of them has some disadvantages which naturally wane off with the time. But, you have also told that there was no cessation of symptoms or spotting even after a long-...  Read Full »

I was put on Yaz recently and have not stopped bleeding at all. What can I take?

Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18 year old female. I was recently put on the contraceptive pill Yaz for 12 days and have not stopped bleeding in that time. The blood varies from dark red and stringy to black and is reasonably heavy (about the same as the first few days of period). Is there anything I can do t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? You can definitely have tablet Tranexamic acid, but I do not think it will stop the bleeding. To immediately stop bleeding, I suggest you take tablet Norethisterone 5 mg (Primolut-N or Norgest or Regestrone or Regulate or Carina-NCR). Have two ta...  Read Full »

I missed my pills on two consecutive days. Should I stop or continue the pack?

Query: Hello doctor, I am being treated for PCOS. My gynecologist prescribed me Irozorb syrup, ovacare tablets, and Sysron-N. I started taking them on the fifth day of my last period. I missed my Sysron pill on the 22nd and 23rd. I took my usual dosage now today. I got my period. Should I continue the tab...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You missed the pill. So, you had the withdrawal bleeding. It is better if you take a combined pill for PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome). I suggest you stop the drug and start a combined pill from day-5. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and star...  Read Full »

I get spotting every 15 days. What can be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from irregular periods. I am getting few spots in 15 days and also the flow was heavy during my periods. I have consulted a gynecologist here. She asked me to check the Hb count, thyroid, sugar levels, vitamin B12 and D3. Everything was fine except Hb and vitamin D3. She a...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which is found in 5-10 percentage of general population and there is nothing to worry for it. Your spotting is not related to PCOS directly. In PCOS, periods become irregular due to anovulation, which leads t...  Read Full »