Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill

Combined oral contraceptive pills contain hormones estrogen and progesterone, and are used to prevent pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation.

I had slight bleeding after taking the first dose of Yasmin after 12 hours of intercourse. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23-year-old female; my weight is 51 kg, and my height is four feet and nine centimeters. I am not under medication. My husband and I had unprotected intercourse, and I took three Yasmin tablets after almost 12 hours of intercourse to prevent pregnancy and took another three tablets...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I thoroughly read your query and understand our concern. Tablet Yasmin (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) is a type of medication known as a combined oral contraceptive pill, which contains two hormones that work together to prevent pregnancy. The bleeding you are ex...  Read Full »

What is the risk of pregnancy if you miss the pill the following morning of intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an important query about the contraceptive pill. My girlfriend had her period afew days ago. So, I believe she is in her ovulation phase. Since her period stopped, she has begun, for the very first time, taking the combined contraceptive pill consistently at 8 AM every morning. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A morning-after pill is different from the regular oral contraceptive pills. Do you mean to say the daily pill or an additional morning-after pill? I need clarity on this. If you mean the regular pill, do not use the phrase morning-after pill as that means an emerge...  Read Full »

I was put on Yaz recently and have not stopped bleeding at all. What can I take?

Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18 year old female. I was recently put on the contraceptive pill Yaz for 12 days and have not stopped bleeding in that time. The blood varies from dark red and stringy to black and is reasonably heavy (about the same as the first few days of period). Is there anything I can do t...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? You can definitely have tablet Tranexamic acid, but I do not think it will stop the bleeding. To immediately stop bleeding, I suggest you take tablet Norethisterone 5 mg (Primolut-N or Norgest or Regestrone or Regulate or Carina-NCR). Have two ta...  Read Full »

What is the difference between birth control and combined contraceptive pills?

Query: Hi doctor,I had a question about birth control for acne. I was initially on Tri-sprintec. However, that did not help my acne. My doctor initially prescribed my YAZ. I was wondering if I should just stop birth control altogether or give Lo-Lo a try. What is the difference between birth controls and h...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Birth control contraceptive pills are hormonal pills that help to prevent conception by interfering with the normal menstrual cycle and inhibits ovulation, conception, fertilization, and implantation. These pills are hormonal contraceptive pills that have generalized as...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full »

I will have sex for the first time. How can I prevent pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going to have sex for the first time with my fiance. We have decided that he will be using a condom for protection. But to be 100 % sure about not getting pregnant, I want to take pills. We will be together for a week, so there are chances of having sex every day during that week....  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. If you use a condom properly, there is no chance of pregnancy. But for extra precaution, you can use combined oral contraceptive pills. Usually, it should be started on the first day of your menses, but you...  Read Full »

Can I get pregnant if I miss one birth control pill?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female, and I have started taking Femilon from last month, from the fourth day of my period. I forgot to take the 18th-day pill at night, but I took it the next day early morning as soon as I remembered. At that time, I did not have sex with my husband. After this on th...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are unduly worried. A single pill miss is so common, and you have managed it effectively. Wait for your periods for next two days and if not, do not bother, start a new pack.   Read Full »

Is it normal to have lighter periods after stopping the pill?

Query: Hello doctor, Before every period, I get a light brown discharge with brown cervical mucus for three to four days. After that, the bleeding starts, and then again, there is a brown discharge for two days. When bleeding starts, I use only one pad a day and, even that does not get full. I was on pill...  Read Full »

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to understand that these are hormonal medicines meant for contraception with many side effects.They disturb the hypothalamus, pituitary, and ovarian axis and suppress your periods totally by reducing the endometrial thickness. Now, your cycles are trying...  Read Full »

Can I take the contraceptive pill in advance while being on periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been on a contraceptive pill called Yasmin since the last two months. In the last pack, I missed the pill twice, but each time, I took two pills the next day. I take the pills roughly around the same time, approximately around one to two hours each day. I am currently on my 7-da...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. In my opinion, you do not need to take any extra precaution in the next five days since the time around Thursday is not a fertile one and there is no risk of pregnancy. The fertile time is 14 days before next periods and ...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to conceive even after stopped taking contraceptive pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I came off the Depo birth control injection about seven months ago. I have been trying to conceive, but nothing yet. I have prolonged periods, some lasting 38 days. For the past few months I have been using ovulation tests, but I never get a positive result. I have an application on m...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? The Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) is supposed to disappear from the body within four months, but for some women, it takes longer. As per your history, the hormone balance is not yet achieved. In every cycle, only if the hormone balance is norma...  Read Full »