Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill

Combined oral contraceptive pills contain hormones estrogen and progesterone, and are used to prevent pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation.

Can I take the contraceptive pill in advance while being on periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been on a contraceptive pill called Yasmin since the last two months. In the last pack, I missed the pill twice, but each time, I took two pills the next day. I take the pills roughly around the same time, approximately around one to two hours each day. I am currently on my 7-da...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. In my opinion, you do not need to take any extra precaution in the next five days since the time around Thursday is not a fertile one and there is no risk of pregnancy. The fertile time is 14 days before next periods and ...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to conceive even after stopped taking contraceptive pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I came off the Depo birth control injection about seven months ago. I have been trying to conceive, but nothing yet. I have prolonged periods, some lasting 38 days. For the past few months I have been using ovulation tests, but I never get a positive result. I have an application on m...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? The Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) is supposed to disappear from the body within four months, but for some women, it takes longer. As per your history, the hormone balance is not yet achieved. In every cycle, only if the hormone balance is norma...  Read Full »

Is there any chance of getting pregnant from the sex I had a few days before my periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex a few days before my expected date of periods. The period is now late by a week. I have been having cramps. I also had a brown spotting, but there was nothing after that.  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? If you had sex in the last week of your cycle, there is no chance of a pregnancy. The life of an egg is 24 hours and that of a sperm is 72 hours. Ovulation occurs in the 12th to the 16th day of your cycle. So, there is no chance that the egg will be ...  Read Full »

Are there ways to delay my periods by seven days since I am going on a vacation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going on a holiday in a couple of months, and my period is due in the last week of the holiday. Is there any way I can delay my period by seven days? Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? You can delay your periods using the birth control pills. I suggest taking any of the oral combined contraceptive pills or birth control pills or a packet of 21 pills. Take one tablet at night from the first day of the periods. After 21 pills are over...  Read Full »

Why am I bleeding for 16 days after taking hormonal pills for acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old female. I suffer from hormonal acne and my dermatologist gave me Yasmin 21 to take for it. I have never been on any contraceptive before. I started Yasmin on day 1 of my period. It has been 16 days and I am still bleeding. It is not much but I still have it daily. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you miss any tablet? If yes, then it may be due to that. Or your body could be adjusting to the new hormones. If you have not done so already, then do the blood tests such as TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and testosterone. To stop the bleeding you can take Prim...  Read Full »

My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and taking Asmita. Can pregnancy be continued?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife had irregular periods. We consulted a gynecologist and she suggested starting Asmita tablet for 21 days and Oosure tablet for a month. We started medication from mid of last month. Now, ultrasound says that she is 8 weeks pregnant. My question is can she continue the pregna...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both the drugs Asmita 21 (combination of Drospirenone and Ethinyl estradiol) and Oosure tablets (Myo-Inositol) have been advised to her presuming that she was a case of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and had concerns regarding ovulation. But, as Asmita are e...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have lighter periods after stopping the pill?

Query: Hello doctor, Before every period, I get a light brown discharge with brown cervical mucus for three to four days. After that, the bleeding starts, and then again, there is a brown discharge for two days. When bleeding starts, I use only one pad a day and, even that does not get full. I was on pill...  Read Full »

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to understand that these are hormonal medicines meant for contraception with many side effects.They disturb the hypothalamus, pituitary, and ovarian axis and suppress your periods totally by reducing the endometrial thickness. Now, your cycles are trying...  Read Full »

What causes irregular periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having issues with on and off periods for nearly four years now. When my periods started, they were normal, neither heavy nor light, and nothing unusual. But, I started missing my cycle for about six months, and then I would come back completely normal. My last episode of m...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The menstrual pattern you quote sounds like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). It is a hormonal imbalance characterized by menstrual abnormalities. I suggest doing the following tests on day two of periods to diagnose and classify the type of PCOS. The timing is...  Read Full »

What is the chance of getting pregnant while taking combined OCP?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a question about the likelihood of getting pregnant while taking combined birth control pills. I started taking the pills three weeks ago, using the first-day method. So, I took my first pill on the first day of my period because I heard it works right away. I had unprotected sex a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have started the pills from day one of the periods, then you are protected from the very first day. So, if you had intercourse after six days, you need not worry. Also, combined birth control pills give you a month long protection irrespective of the number o...  Read Full »