Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill

Combined oral contraceptive pills contain hormones estrogen and progesterone, and are used to prevent pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation.

Why did I have two periods in a month?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had two periods in the same month. The first one was for five days and this one has lasted for six days, but I am still having some blood when I wipe. I do have PCOS and I understand that the period issue could be a result of this. I am feeling unwell and constantly have a headac...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Irregular cycle is a common manifestation of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and it is due to hormonal disturbances inside you. You need some medication to control your cycle as well as your bleeding. Medications are different according to your need. If you do not wa...  Read Full »

How to stop spotting due to a missed pill?

Query: Hi doctor, I went abroad a few days after my period ended. I start birth control on the last day or the day after the last usually. On the second day of my vacation, I started spotting and that has lasted till now. It has been about 10 days. I have been taking my birth control throughout. I only jus...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are experiencing a breakthrough bleeding occurring due to missing your pills and also probably due to not taking them on time. If it is a combined oral contraceptive pill, then it should be started from day 2 or 3 of your cycle ideally. So, the best is to s...  Read Full »

Can you take Primolut N to delay periods even if you are spotting and on OCP?

Query: Hello, I am on Yaz right now and have been taking the pill as a contraceptive for 3 months now. I am supposed to get my period in two days but I am already spotting and I feel like it is going to come tomorrow. I was wondering if I could take Primolut N to delay it.  Read Full »

Dr. Artur Holubka

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello! The drug Yaz is a combined hormonal contraceptive with antimineralocorticoid and antiandrogenic action. The contraceptive effect of combined oral contraceptive drugs (COCs) is based on the interaction of various factors, the most important of which are suppression of ovulation and changes ...  Read Full »

What causes irregular periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having issues of on and off periods for nearly four years now. When I started my periods, they were completely normal, neither heavy nor light and nothing unusual. But, I started missing my cycle for about six months and then I would come back completely normal. My last epi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator, Lactation Counselor, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The menstrual pattern you quote sounds like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). It is a hormonal imbalance characterized by menstrual abnormalities. To diagnose and classify the type of PCOS, following hormonal tests should be done on day 2 of periods. The timing ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a contraceptive method without side effects.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected intercourse with my partner while I was in my unsafe period. Although I took an ECP within 6 to 8 hours of time, I am a bit curious as if it will work or not.  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have taken the emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of intercourse, then there is no chance of pregnancy. However, if you have a delay in periods, then get a urine pregnancy test done with early morning urine sample. The periods delay could be because o...  Read Full »

Do contraceptive pills protect during pill-free days?

Query: Hi doctor, I am starting a pack of pill two weeks after my periods. After completing the pack will contraception start? Do I need to take the 7 pill free days after the first pack? Will remain protected during those seven days?  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are taking combination pill that is hormonal contraceptives containing both estrogen and progestin (synthetic progesterone). These act by preventing your ovulation and making your cervical mucus thicker. You need to take combination pills within five d...  Read Full »

Please tell me the pros and cons of switching from combination OCP to a hormonal IUD.

Query: I am hoping to get some advice about the pros and cons of switching from my combo OCP to a hormonal IUD from someone with more experience on the topic than my family doctor. My main concern is the effects of losing the estrogen that is in my pills but not the IUD and how that will affect my body and...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Dear, good morning I have understood your concern and will surely help you. pros versus cons as desired by you. See estrogen in your ocp may leave some side effects for few days, something similar when you started your ocp long back but it will slowly fade away. it won't adversely effect your rout...  Read Full »

My serum ferritin is low, and birth control pills make me depressed and tired. Why?

Query: Hello I am a 25 year old woman who gave birth to my first child a year back. After giving birth in 2 months I started taking yasmin birth control pills then they gave me nausea all time and I didnt feel hungry or could eat so I switched to yaz control pills after 4 months and they make me so depress...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: hello, there are few things I like to point out from ur history 1) yaz or Yasmin is not the right choice of birth control pills right after child birth ( yaz and Yasmin are combined oral contraception containing estrogen and progesterone and this is not safe immediately after child birth if ur bre...  Read Full »

Which oral contraceptive pill has high success rate?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the best contraceptive pill to be used to avoid pregnancy?  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best choice of contraceptive pills varies from one individual to another. What may be suitable for one person may not be for another. In general, pills which mimick the natural hormonal levels in the body are most effective and tolerable with the least side ef...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of Mifepristone?

Query: Hi doctor, Is taking contraceptive pill - Mifepristone after sex safe?  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you asking about contraceptive pill? But, Mifepristone is not a contraceptive pill to be used after sex. It is used for abortion when the age of the fetus is less than 7 weeks. Also, it is used with an additional drug termed Misoprostol. I presume that you are talking...  Read Full »