Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill

Combined oral contraceptive pills contain hormones estrogen and progesterone, and are used to prevent pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation.

What causes irregular periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having issues with on and off periods for nearly four years now. When my periods started, they were normal, neither heavy nor light, and nothing unusual. But, I started missing my cycle for about six months, and then I would come back completely normal. My last episode of m...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The menstrual pattern you quote sounds like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). It is a hormonal imbalance characterized by menstrual abnormalities. I suggest doing the following tests on day two of periods to diagnose and classify the type of PCOS. The timing is...  Read Full »

What is the chance of getting pregnant while taking combined OCP?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a question about the likelihood of getting pregnant while taking combined birth control pills. I started taking the pills three weeks ago, using the first-day method. So, I took my first pill on the first day of my period because I heard it works right away. I had unprotected sex a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have started the pills from day one of the periods, then you are protected from the very first day. So, if you had intercourse after six days, you need not worry. Also, combined birth control pills give you a month long protection irrespective of the number o...  Read Full »

What is the possible link between Koch's disease and irregular periods?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is suffering from irregular and painful periods from more than a year. We went to the doctor, and he told us to perform several tests like serum vitamin, serum prolactin, thyroid function, hemogram, calcium level, and Mantoux test. The reports, which I have attached, showed th...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a case of irregular, painful periods, which is not uncommon among the woman who has not become a mother yet. I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but I could not find anything suggestive of tuberculosis (Koch's diseas...  Read Full »

Should I stop Jaimiess birth control pill if I have breakthrough bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I am using the Jaimiess birth control pill for a year to skip my periods. Previously I used Sprintec. I have skipped my periods for almost five months with this method. From yesterday I have been spotting which is more red than brown. It seems like I am going to bleed. Next week is the...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. From your statement, I understand you are taking 84 + 7 birth control pills. Ideally, the bleeding while you are on active pills should last for five to seven days. It is recommended to stop the pills if the patient experiences brea...  Read Full »

After unprotected sex, I took only two tablets of combined OCP. Can I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex, but my husband did not ejaculate inside me. I am on the combined contraceptive pill, but I have taken only two tablets of the active pills. What are my chances of getting pregnant?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? Unprotected sex definitely has a chance of pregnancy. Even if he did not ejaculate inside you, even the pre-seminal fluid or precum, that is, the clear fluid that comes out of the penis before the semen, which is rich in young healthy sperm, comes...  Read Full »

How to maintain the schedule of my birth control pills while traveling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently taking my regular birth control pill every night at 8 PM. I am going to be traveling abroad where it is 7 hours ahead so that would be 3 AM there. Can I move up my regular time to 6.30 PM to take my pills at 1 AM there?  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two types of birth control pills. Common combined pills and progesterone only pills. Probably you are on common pills, and there will be no issue if you switch over the time regarding the point of contraception. But keep in mind, there is a rare possib...  Read Full »

Does Dronis 20 cause irregular menstruation?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a mother of a 21-month-old baby, and post his birth, my doctor advised me to take Dronis 20 as a contraceptive. I was taking it regularly. However, last month, I did not have my period properly. Last month it was just spotting for five to six days, and then I started retaking Dronis. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. May I know from when you are on Dronis 20 (Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone)? Also, have you taken a pregnancy test (there are possibilities of pregnancy even when on the pill)? This is to rule out any possibility of pregnancy (as you have a...  Read Full »

Is Cerazette reliable for contraception?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sexual intercourse 31 days back and took three pregnancy tests until today morning, which were all negative. One week after sexual intercourse, I started taking Cerazette as I do not want to get pregnant, and on the same day, as it was due, I got my periods. But now am worried if t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com I do not see any reason for you to worry. Implantation bleeding is usually light blood or pink in color, but you had proper bleeding, just lesser in quantity if I am right. Till now you have not got a positive pregnancy test too. If you think you got pregnant that day...  Read Full »

Please tell me the pros and cons of switching from combination OCP to a hormonal IUD.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 21-year-old female. I am suffering from depression, and I am taking combination OCP for six years now. I am sexually active with one long-term partner but not interested in getting pregnant any time soon. Before starting OCPs at the age of 15, I had hefty flow and severe cramps, neg...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understood your concern and will surely help you. 1) Estrogen in your OCP (oral contraceptive pills) may leave some side effects for few days. Something similar when you started your OCP long back, but it will slowly fade away. It will not adversely affect your ro...  Read Full »

My serum ferritin is low, and birth control pills make me depressed and tired. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old woman who gave birth to my first child a year back. After giving birth in 2 months, I started taking Yasmin birth control pills. Then they gave me nausea all time, and I did not feel hungry or could eat, so I switched to Yaz control pills after four months, and they...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are few things I like to point out from your history. 1) Yaz or Yasmin is not the right choice of birth control pills right after childbirth ( Yaz and Yasmin are combined oral contraception containing estrogen and progesterone, and this is not safe immediately...  Read Full »