Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill

Combined oral contraceptive pills contain hormones estrogen and progesterone, and are used to prevent pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation.

What happens if you take birth control pills from the wrong side of the strip?

Query: Hello doctor, What happens if you take birth control pills from the wrong side of the strip? I take Yamini birth control pills and they are not labeled with days. I was taking the pills and the second-week pills are supposed to be taken from the bottom of the strip to the top. Instead, I ended up ta...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not matter how you take the pills in Yamini (a combination of Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol), as the contents of each and every pill is the same. So, you are very much protected from pregnancy. You need not have Plan B (Levonorgestrel) in case you have int...  Read Full »

Can I have IUD along with birth control pill?

Query: Hi doctor, Right now, I am not on any birth control method except for the rhythm method. I have tried multiple birth control methods in the past, such as the implant, the pill, the ring, the patch and had annoying side effects with each of them. I had spotting that would not go away with the ring an...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have described elaborately about your experience about all the contraceptives. Truly speaking, each of them has some disadvantages which naturally wane off with the time. But, you have also told that there was no cessation of symptoms or spotting even after a long-...  Read Full »

How to stop spotting due to a missed pill?

Query: Hi doctor, I went abroad a few days after my period ended. I start birth control on the last day or the day after the last usually. On the second day of my vacation, I started spotting and that has lasted till now. It has been about 10 days. I have been taking my birth control throughout. I only jus...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are experiencing a breakthrough bleeding occurring due to missing your pills and also probably due to not taking them on time. If it is a combined oral contraceptive pill, then it should be started from day 2 or 3 of your cycle ideally. So, the best is to s...  Read Full »

Can you take Primolut N to delay periods even if you are spotting and on OCP?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Yaz as a contraceptive for three months. I am expecting my periods to come after two days. But I have spotting always. Can I take Primolut along with it?   Read Full »

Dr. Artur Holubka

General Practitioner, Family Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yaz (Ethinyl estradiol with Drospirenone) is a combined hormonal contraceptive pill with antimineralocorticoid and antiandrogenic action. The contraceptive effect of combined oral contraceptive drugs (COC) is based on various factors. The important factors are suppressi...  Read Full »

How to correct my wife's irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor,We got married 9 years back. My wife has the problem of PCOD. We consulted many doctors and tired for IUI and IVF, but no positive result found. Actually, my wife's menstrual cycle was fine before and after marriage. After our first anniversary, we consulted a doctor for baby. The doctor ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to go through the reports first. I do not think that your wife has any major problem. All her problems can be corrected. So, kindly upload the reports. Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor...  Read Full »

Why did I have two periods in a month?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had two periods in the same month. The first one was for five days and this one has lasted for six days, but I am still having some blood when I wipe. I do have PCOS and I understand that the period issue could be a result of this. I am feeling unwell and constantly have a headac...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Irregular cycle is a common manifestation of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and it is due to hormonal disturbances inside you. You need some medication to control your cycle as well as your bleeding. Medications are different according to your need. If you do not wa...  Read Full »

What causes irregular periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having issues of on and off periods for nearly four years now. When I started my periods, they were completely normal, neither heavy nor light and nothing unusual. But, I started missing my cycle for about six months and then I would come back completely normal. My last epi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator, Lactation Counselor, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The menstrual pattern you quote sounds like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). It is a hormonal imbalance characterized by menstrual abnormalities. To diagnose and classify the type of PCOS, following hormonal tests should be done on day 2 of periods. The timing ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a contraceptive method without side effects.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected intercourse with my partner while I was in my unsafe period. Although I took an ECP within 6 to 8 hours of time, I am a bit curious as if it will work or not.  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have taken the emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of intercourse, then there is no chance of pregnancy. However, if you have a delay in periods, then get a urine pregnancy test done with early morning urine sample. The periods delay could be because o...  Read Full »

Do contraceptive pills protect during pill-free days?

Query: Hi doctor, I am starting a pack of pill two weeks after my periods. After completing the pack will contraception start? Do I need to take the 7 pill free days after the first pack? Will remain protected during those seven days?  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are taking combination pill that is hormonal contraceptives containing both estrogen and progestin (synthetic progesterone). These act by preventing your ovulation and making your cervical mucus thicker. You need to take combination pills within five d...  Read Full »

Please tell me the pros and cons of switching from combination OCP to a hormonal IUD.

Query: I am hoping to get some advice about the pros and cons of switching from my combo OCP to a hormonal IUD from someone with more experience on the topic than my family doctor. My main concern is the effects of losing the estrogen that is in my pills but not the IUD and how that will affect my body and...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Dear, good morning I have understood your concern and will surely help you. pros versus cons as desired by you. See estrogen in your ocp may leave some side effects for few days, something similar when you started your ocp long back but it will slowly fade away. it won't adversely effect your rout...  Read Full »

Starting @ just €19.99