Q. Is abnormal vaginal bleeding a sign of reproductive cancer?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have been bleeding heavily from my vagina for past five days. It only happens when I either open my bowel or while urinating. I put in a tampon to confirm that the bleeding is coming from my vagina and not from rectum. When I am not using the bathroom there is no bleeding and no blood on underwear. But, as soon as I urinate and have a bowel movement I start to bleed. It is not just spotting. It is a heavy bright blood to sometimes dark heavy blood. It reminds me of my heavy days on my periods. I am nowhere close to my periods now. I am taking birth control and have been getting my periods correctly each month. This bleeding is not a consistent flow. It only happens when I use the bathroom. It is like I have blood pool above my vagina and the minute I push a little to pee or have a bowel movement it spills out. I do not have period cramping. But, the pain will be like a dull, achy to sometimes sharp pain, especially when the blood comes out. It radiates all over my pelvis, ovaries, stomach and back sometimes to my kidneys. I did consult a gynaecologist earlier today. He pressed on my stomach in which I had some discomfort. He also did a vaginal exam and said there was a lot of mucus with blood. When pressed inside, I felt little discomfort. He did a swab and sent it out to be checked for infection and prescribed me some antibiotics just in case it was an infection. He also scheduled me an ultrasound for next week and wants me back in two weeks. He told me to come back sooner if it gets worse. He seemed quite concerned. This evening, I have started to become more dizzy and lightheaded. Could this be just an infection or something else? I do not have itchy or burning vaginal symptoms that you get when you have an infection. I am really worried about this. I am scared of cancer now as I knew that the abnormal bleeding and pain are signs of reproductive cancer. So, I need a second opinion from another doctor while I am waiting for the results.



Welcome to icliniq.com

I believe this is the first episode of heavy intermenstrual bleeding or polymenorrhagia for you and during the mid cycle.

  • The most likely cause for the same can be irregular shedding which can occur in case of ER estrogen excess or progesterone deficiency where endometrial proliferation is unopposed by deficient in progesterone.
  • The fact that you are on birth control should not be presenting in this manner. But, in cases of high dose oral contraceptive pills with higher estrogen content such as irregular shedding has been commonly seen.
  • I would like you to let me know the name of the birth control which you are presently using and since how many months?
  • Secondly, as there was ample mucous discharge mixed with blood on per vaginal examination it is better to rule out any local vaginal infection but invariably it will not cause uterine bleeding or endometrial shedding.
  • So, the possibility can be either an endometrial polyp or submucosal fibroid which may have developed over the last few months and are likely to be the cause or there is progesterone imbalance which is a likely cause.
  • Hence, ideally antifibrinolytics should have been advised to control and reduce the bleeding and follow it up with an ultrasound pelvis to look for any polyps, submucosal fibroid or ovarian cysts indicating endometriotic cause.
  • As the pain is diffuse in the lower abdomen and per vaginal examination was painful on deeper examination, endometriosis or PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) should also be ruled out by USG and swab test.
  • You should start yourself on antibiotics empirical treatment which shall take care of PID or any bacterial vaginosis as well.

If the bleeding is not controlled and remains heavy causing anemia and dizziness as manifestation then to stop the bleed the best way would be to undertake a dilatation and curettage procedure. Through which can remove the endometrium and subject sample for histopathological exam to rule out any endometrial hyperplasia and accompanied atypia, which may indicate towards an endometrial cancer depending on the reports.

At present, wait and watch for excessive bleeding for few more days and if it does not reduce then review with ER and get the ultrasound done sooner and further evaluation. Keep yourself well hydrated to maintain the blood volume and avoid dizziness episodes.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What causes intermenstrual bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am not on any sort of birth control pills. I had a normal menstruation in the starting of this month and normal bleeding. After six to seven days, I started bleeding again. The bleeding was not very heavy, but lasted on and off for about six days. Now, after a gap o...  Read Full »

Why am I having fishy vaginal discharge with irregular bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I went last night to get tested for STD for fishy discharge smell and 20 minutes ago I went to the bathroom and noticed I was bleeding down there, which is weird for me since I just finished a none-day period a week ago. So I am worried if I need to get checked out right away or wait.  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.