Protein Powder

Why do I not put on weight even after using appetizers?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 23. But, I weigh only 37 kg for 158 cm height. My parents consulted different medical practitioners, but nothing worked out. Appetizers did not work too. I do not have strong immunity. I get fever often. No one in my family is lean other than me. They all have normal weight. ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For a height of 158 cm, your ideal weight should be between 56 to 60 kg. You can definitely gain weight. First of all, I would suggest you to rule out any chronic disease by carrying out complete blood count, chest x-ray, thyroid hormone profile, liver function tests and...  Read Full »

Please suggest a diet plan for type 2 diabetes.

Query: Hello doctor, I have type 2 diabetes. I am 29 years old. My height is 5'7" and weight is 58 kg. 34 days back I gave blood tests. My fasting blood sugar was 313, postprandial 599, HbA1c-14.9, T3 109.6, T4-12.30, vitamin D-6.2 and TSH-2.29. After five days, I consulted a doctor and he gave me medicin...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I am surprised why have you stopped taking medicines? Medication does not cure diabetes; they control it and hence do keep continuing medications. Coming to your diabetic diet: You need to eat food in small quantities, but frequently. Avoid swe...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a solution to build my body.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a lean body and my height is 6 ft and weighs about 65 kg. I want to build body in the gym. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Criticalcare Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as gaining muscle mass is concerned there are two important things. One is doing regular work out and the other more important thing is diet. In diet you should remember that proteins are the part of the diet which form the muscle mass. If you are a non-vegeta...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution to maintain weight after stopping protein powder.

Query: Hello doctor, I had some weight gaining powder for gaining weight. After I stopped consuming those powders I started losing weight. Kindly suggest on how to maintain my weight.  Read Full »

Dr. Vinod Kumar

Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to understand a few basic points regarding weight gain or weight loss. 1) Weight gain or weight loss is actually a result of fine balance between calorie intake and calorie consumption. So, if calorie intake is more than your daily needs then you will gain ...  Read Full »

Is medicine the only solution for gout?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gout, and my uric acid remains in the range of 8.5 to 9. Is medicine the only solution? I have not started any, but the doctor suggested Febutaz 40 mg. If I start my medicine and continue with my daily workout, is it fine to add a protein shake in my diet?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can start dietary restrictions initially, and if not responding, then you will have to use medicine. The risk of developing gout is increased with dietary meat and fish intake. Consumption of dairy products, particularly low-fat dairy products, is associat...  Read Full »

Is Nitrous oxide pre-workout supplement bad for hypothyroidism?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have hypothyroidism. My TSH level is higher than the normal range. T3 and T4 are fine. I go to the gym regularly and like to lift heavy weights. I am taking pre-workout supplement - Nitrous Oxide. I heard that this is not good for me but I want to take some pre-workout supplement. Wha...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is a very good question.You are right. The supplements which you are taking are not good for you when you have hypothyroidism. It can have adverse effects in the long run. I understand you require a pre-workout supplement for the strenuous exercise you do. WHEY PROTE...  Read Full »

After working out, is it safe to have protein shake?

Query: Hi doctor, I started gym a few days ago. Can I take protein shake (whey protein) after my workout? Is it safe? I do not have any known food allergies. I have attached my anthropometry chart with BMI. I heard that protein will make the person unhealthy after stopping it. Is it true? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Swapan Banerjee

Dietician, Fitness Expert, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I must say that as per your height and weight your BMI (body mass index) is fine. Now you should start taking good quality foods enriched with protein. Once you are taking whey protein, it is like one-sided food. As you need more energy to do a workout, it...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to protein toxicity?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a protein shake for three weeks, around five scoops a day. Since then I get a pulsation in my buttocks and legs. This also causes dizziness most of the time. If I eat too much this problem gets worse. Drinking a lot of water helps but it is not sorting out the problem. I was advised...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through your question I feel that you are really worried about the ill effects of protein shake. Let me assure you that a protein shake is perfectly safe even if you have taken in large quantities as mentioned. The fact that even after three weeks it has no...  Read Full »

Will taking protein powder to gain weight have any side-effects?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old, weight is 55 kg, height is 5'11". I have a problem in gaining weight. The checkup shows that all things are normal. I am eating regularly. Kindly explain the problem in detail and tell whether taking protein powder has any side effect or not.   Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. See gaining weight depends on metabolism, genes, and activity, etc. Metabolism of every person varies depending on thyroid gland functioning. Genes mean that if your parents are skinny then there are chances that you will be lean. Physical act...  Read Full »

How to pick the best protein powder for me?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old male. My body weight is not proportionate to my age and height. Please let me know the proportion that has to be noticed while selecting the best protein powder to gain weight?  Read Full »

Dr. Shilpi Rajnish Gupta

Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest you the following proportion to keep in mind while selecting a protein powder: Low fat (1 to 5 grams is good). Low carbohydrate (1 to 5 grams is good). High protein (normally about 20 to 30 grams per serving). Go for concentrate powders - that is ...  Read Full »