Q. I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. Give me a diet suggestion

Answered by
Dr. Sugandh Garg
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. What should I do? Shall I take any medicine or any diet suggestions?

Age 23, male, weight 59kg, height - 179cm.



Welcome to

You must take a high protein diet. And to aid better protein absorption, include acidic foods like lemon, orange, etc., in your diet.

I am mentioning here a sample protein rich diet. You may modify the same as per your taste.


  • 4 boiled/scrambled/omelet egg - the egg white particularly contains albumin which is a protein.
  • A glass of milk (a total of at least one litre of full cream milk split as per your convenience) with two to three scoops of protein powder (see here to know how to choose a protein powder).


  • A bowl of chicken soup.


  • A big bowl of black gram/ green gram/other pulses/cottage cheese/fresh paneer/soybean/fish/chicken/mutton.
  • 3-4 chapattis (this may increase as per your appetite) made out of multigrain flour.
  • A bowl of curd.
  • A glass of buttermilk.


  • A glass of juice.
  • Snacks (made out of besan/gram flour which is protein rich).

Just before dinner - A bowl of soup (chicken/mutton/vegetable).


  • Vegetable (choose from the list mentioned above).
  • Two to three chapattis multigrain flour.
  • A bowl of curd.

You may try different recipes with high protein vegetables like soybean, pulses, besan. Take soya milk which will give you added proteins. Fish has high omega 3 fatty acids.

When making fresh paneer, the left over water is protein rich and can be used in various ways, added to good as well. Various recipes made out of hung curd which will again add variety being protein rich as well.

A note of caution: Do not over do with the proteins, as they have to break down for digestion and an appropriate levels of uric acid have to be maintained in the body.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask a dietician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Please suggest a diet chart so that I can study properly and stop gaining weight.

Please help me with some diet charts so that I can study properly and due to improper diet my weight increased alarmingly ... Accordingly, I can suggest a diet chart...   Read full

How to gain weight?

.. definitely gain weight. If you think you are not getting 100% of what you are eating, it could be probably due to worm infestation in intestine. For that you can take tablet Ivoral Forte (combination of Ivermectin and Albendazole) once after dinne...   Read full

How to gain weight as I am underweight and more vulnerable to climate change?

.. immune system is very weak. Some people like you are very much prone to cold and cough, because of which the body's normal biological systems gets disturbed during each season. When our immune system gets altered our antigens, which are the fighti...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.