Q. My fiance has loss of genital sensation after taking Prozac. Is this permanent?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

My 54 year old fiance had just started 20 mg of Prozac once a day five days ago. He is already experiencing a loss of genital sensation and inability to get aroused. He has never been on any kind of medicine. He is stopping it, but how long will it take to get it out of his system if he has only had four or five doses. I feel horrible since I encouraged him to go on it. Please tell me this will clear since he has taken only a few doses.

#

• Prozac (Fluoxetine) remains in the body for up to two weeks and its metabolites for up to four weeks as its halflife is around 72 hours.

Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Please address if these side effects will subside or are they permanent? And, can this really be caused by just four to five doses of Prozac (20 mg each). He has a slightly enlarged prostate. Would the introduction of Prozac have caused it?

#

• These side effects are temporary and will subside with time as described earlier, and can be caused by a few doses of Prozac.
  • A slightly enlarged prostate is unlikely to be due to this.
  • Prozac per se can cause these side effects on initiation.
  • Now, as your fiance has stopped taking Prozac the side effects will subside with time.
  • A trial of Cyproheptadine 4 mg can be given, as many times it can treat the side effects but sedation is a problem with this drug.

Thanks and regards.

|