Q. Is there any cure for pruritus ani?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Dec 15, 2018

I have been suffering from a condition known as pruritus ani for almost a year. It gives me uncomfortable itching around the anal area. I have tried creams, seen a doctor and a colorectal specialist, taken Metamucil and sitz baths. I did pretty much everything, but the problem persists. Some days are better than others, but the problem has never entirely gone away, and I cannot take it anymore. Is there any way that this condition can be cured once and for all? I want my normal life back. Please help me.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

I can understand your concerns regarding pruritus ani as I have analyzed each detail that you have provided. I have managed lots of cases with a matching condition and feel that you too will make good use of the information and suggestions.

First, please get your stool tests done on three consecutive days. You need to wear loose undergarments made of thin cotton and dry up skin after every bath and whenever there is moisture.

Use antibiotic and antifungal creams mixed in equal quantities to take care of any germs inhabiting the area. For now, no steroid creams need to be used. If you are using one, taper that off slowly till you are comfortable without one. It might lead to a temporary increase in discomfort, but it is an absolute requirement.

You can have sufficient antiallergics like Levocetirizine once or twice a day to neutralize itching completely. The affected area need not be touched, and for that, the above medication helps a lot plus there is a useful contribution from one's determination too.

Deworm your GI system with Albendazole or another suitable agent about which you can get advice from your physician.

I am sure the problem can be managed even though it might not be possible to do so in a matter of days. The key to treatment is to let the skin heal, remove any cause of irritation, and break the cycle of itch and scratch, which is bound to have resulted in thickening of the affected skin.

What is the dosage for Nemocid?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is three years old. He weights 11.6 kilograms. He is given Nemocid for every six months for disinfection. What is the dose of Nemocid for him now? The previous dose was 2.5 ml. If Nemoacid is not suitable, what is the other medicine advised for him? Please help.  Read Full »

Is chewing sponge an indication of any deficiency in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 11 years old, is found to chew sponge. She will not swallow but used to chew it. Could it be due to any deficiency? Otherwise, she is normal and healthy. Please help.  Read Full »

What should I apply for anal itching?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel very itchy around the anus. It feels like I need to press around the periphery for it to stop. There is no pain, just irritation. I have had hemorrhoids once before, but this is not the same. I do not feel any pimples or problems in opening bowel. I tried Glyvenol cream for a f...  Read Full »