Psa Level

Swelling above penis has got reduced after urination. What is the problem?

Query: Hello doctor,My father had stepped over the stone in the backyard and had got edema in legs. We consulted an ortho doctor. He gave him Chymoral forte. After having it, my father got swelling in the area above the penis. The swelling gets less after he goes to urinate.Doctor has given add protein sup...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father has swelling above the penis which is reduced after passing urine. Recently he took Chymoral forte. No urinary issues like dribbling or thinning of stream. Alright, I actually appreciate if I could see the picture of the swelling. But swelling above penis i...  Read Full »

What is the reason for prostate enlargement in males above 50 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 54-year-old male, good health, good shape, who just got my PSA back from my doctor last week. Initially, he said my prostate felt a bit enlarged on the left side, so he ordered the test. The tests came back at 1.29. So he said all good and normal. No need to follow up with him ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The prostate is a male gland function to liquify semen and nourish sperms usually it starts to enlarge after the age of 50 years. I may cause obstructive symptoms or may not. The shape is more important than size as some patients with big prostate of 200 gm do not have ...  Read Full »

I have slow urinating problem with diabetes. Please suggest medication to help both.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a slow urinating problem and I am taking the following medications: Telma H (OD), Glycomet GP (BD), Atorlip 10 (OD), Urimax 0.4 mg (OD), and Vitamin A to Z (OD), and Human Mixtard Insulin 20 units (OD). I have my health check-up done. Please prescribe suitable diabetic and kidn...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Prostate enlargement can cause an obstruction and slow urine. After the age of 50 prostate starts to grow to variable sizes. Although size does not matter but the shape of the prostate can cause obstruction. Medications can shrink the prostate up to 30% and cause impr...  Read Full »

Does prostate cancer have a strong family history?

Query: Hi doctor, My father was detected to have prostate cancer, but they did not give any stage of his cancer. I am worried about his prognosis. How long he would survive? They have removed his testes and advised him to take Andro Block for life time. They used the term highly suspicious of prostate canc...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatric Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I sympathize for the medical condition of your father. Unfortunately, he has moderate to advanced cancer of the prostate (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The biopsy report is suggestive of moderate cancer as per Gleason's score, but if we consider the bon...  Read Full »

Should I consult a specialist regarding my gallbladder issues?

Query: Hello doctor, I had got an abdomen ultrasound done for other¬†reasons but, the radiologist observed the following 'gallbladder is partially distended and showing few small concretions at the GB neck. Chronic patient of the prostate. Size 47 by 41 by 38 mm, volume 39 cc. Pre-void urine 281 cc, post v...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How old are you? There is no need to worry. Small concretions are commonly found in the gallbladder. Also, the prostate size is enlarged and it is probably due to a benign prostatic hypertrophy. You should get Serum PSA (prostate-specific antigen) levels done, whi...  Read Full »

How likely is it that the MRI could have missed significant cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 65-year-old with a very enlarged prostate (approx 100 ccs). I had periodic hematuria. PSA has vacillated between 2.7 and 5. Blind biopsy negative. I had two prostate MRI six months apart, one designated pirad 1 and the second pirad 2. I am on flow max and Finasteride. Based on ...  Read Full »

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your description, it is obvious that you have a large prostate with lower urinary tract symptoms, which you are on treatment with Finasteride for more than six months. With this scenario, PSA (prostate-specific antigen) should be read as twice the value that is ...  Read Full »

Is PAP test valid for screening prostatitis symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I asked my doctor to do PSA test. The PSA came back normal at 1.0 ng/mL. However, he also did prostatic acid phosphatase test which was high at 4.5 ng/mL. My question is whether prostatic acid phosphatase test is valid for screening or not? Should I need to do these tests again? I had pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. Prostatic acid phosphatase (PAP) has been replaced by PSA (prostate-specific antigen test). It is better in the detection of prostate cancer compared to PAP. The elevation of PAP levels alone is not a cause for concern. I hope your treating...  Read Full »

What causes abnormal free PSA results?

Query: Hello doctor, 50 years old, 5.8 inches, 260 lbs. On blood pressure pills. My doctor is out of town for a few weeks. I reviewed PSA test results and apparently I have one abnormal reading out of three. PSA total 0.5, PSA free 0.1, PSA % free 20. The PSA % free 20 is in red indicating abnormal. What ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Free PSA should be more than 15 % to rule out prostate cancer. Free PSA is an additional tool used when PSA is above 2.5 and we want to check whether high PSA is due to benign prostate growth or due to prostate cancer. Some laboratories use 25 % cutoff, but most have 15...  Read Full »

Please enlighten me on non-invasive procedures to detect prostate cancer.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 79 year old male. Excellent health, take no medications with the exception of an occasional Viagra. In a recent DRE, my urologist discovered two small nodules on my prostate. A PSA at the time was 6.3. Over the years, I have ranged in 2's and 3's. He suggested a biopsy of the p...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. I concur with your urologist in the need for a biopsy. Any PSA (prostate-specific antigen) more than 4 or abnormal findings on DRE (digital rectal examination) needs evaluation to rule out prostate cancer. None of the non-invasive te...  Read Full »

My PSA is 5.7 and MRI negative. Should I get prostate biopsy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a 4.4 PSA and had an MRI that was negative. Six months later my PSA is 5.7 and even though the MRI was negative it is suggested that I should have a prostate biopsy. I am a 73-year-old male. I am certainly not that excited to have a biopsy. Any thoughts?  Read Full »

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern about undergoing an invasive investigation without any symptoms. Let me explain you what does PSA suggest. Basically, PSA is secreted by the prostate as well as some other body tissues. It does not reach circulation and hence remains low in...  Read Full »