Psa Level

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Should I consult a specialist regarding my gallbladder issues?

Query: Hello doctor, I had got an abdomen ultrasound done for other reasons but, the radiologist observed the following 'gallbladder is partially distended and showing few small concretions at the GB neck. Chronic patient of the prostate. Size 47 by 41 by 38 mm, volume 39 cc. Pre-void urine 281 cc, post v...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to How old are you? There is no need to worry. Small concretions are commonly found in the gallbladder. Also, the prostate size is enlarged and it is probably due to a benign prostatic hypertrophy. You should get Serum PSA (prostate-specific antigen) levels done, whi...  Read Full »

How likely is it that the MRI could have missed significant cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 65-year-old with a very enlarged prostate (approx 100 ccs). I had periodic hematuria. PSA has vacillated between 2.7 and 5. Blind biopsy negative. I had two prostate MRI six months apart, one designated pirad 1 and the second pirad 2. I am on flow max and Finasteride. Based on ...  Read Full »

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to With your description, it is obvious that you have a large prostate with lower urinary tract symptoms, which you are on treatment with Finasteride for more than six months. With this scenario, PSA (prostate-specific antigen) should be read as twice the value that is ...  Read Full »

Is PAP test valid for screening prostatitis symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I asked my doctor to do PSA test. The PSA came back normal at 1.0 ng/mL. However, he also did prostatic acid phosphatase test which was high at 4.5 ng/mL. My question is whether prostatic acid phosphatase test is valid for screening or not? Should I need to do these tests again? I had pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your query. Prostatic acid phosphatase (PAP) has been replaced by PSA (prostate-specific antigen test). It is better in the detection of prostate cancer compared to PAP. The elevation of PAP levels alone is not a cause for concern. I hope your treating...  Read Full »

What causes abnormal free PSA results?

Query: Hello doctor, 50 years old, 5.8 inches, 260 lbs. On blood pressure pills. My doctor is out of town for a few weeks. I reviewed PSA test results and apparently I have one abnormal reading out of three. PSA total 0.5, PSA free 0.1, PSA % free 20. The PSA % free 20 is in red indicating abnormal. What ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya


Answer: Hi, Welcome to Free PSA should be more than 15 % to rule out prostate cancer. Free PSA is an additional tool used when PSA is above 2.5 and we want to check whether high PSA is due to benign prostate growth or due to prostate cancer. Some laboratories use 25 % cutoff, but most have 15...  Read Full »

Please enlighten me on non-invasive procedures to detect prostate cancer.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 79 year old male. Excellent health, take no medications with the exception of an occasional Viagra. In a recent DRE, my urologist discovered two small nodules on my prostate. A PSA at the time was 6.3. Over the years, I have ranged in 2's and 3's. He suggested a biopsy of the p...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your query. I concur with your urologist in the need for a biopsy. Any PSA (prostate-specific antigen) more than 4 or abnormal findings on DRE (digital rectal examination) needs evaluation to rule out prostate cancer. None of the non-invasive te...  Read Full »

My PSA is 5.7 and MRI negative. Should I get prostate biopsy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a 4.4 PSA and had an MRI that was negative. Six months later my PSA is 5.7 and even though the MRI was negative it is suggested that I should have a prostate biopsy. I am a 73-year-old male. I am certainly not that excited to have a biopsy. Any thoughts?  Read Full »

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern about undergoing an invasive investigation without any symptoms. Let me explain you what does PSA suggest. Basically, PSA is secreted by the prostate as well as some other body tissues. It does not reach circulation and hence remains low in...  Read Full »

Why is there an increase in PSA while taking testosterone replacement therapy?

Query: Hi doctor, My prostate-specific antigen (PSA) value has got increased by 30 % from 0.8 ng/mL to 1.1 ng/mL. I am in testosterone replacement therapy also. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra


Answer: Hi, Welcome to The absolute PSA (prostate-specific antigen) level is in the range where it is not of much concern. But the rise in PSA is bothersome if it rises more than 0.75 ng/mL per year. For a young patient like you, even this rise in rate needs to be assessed. Testosterone repla...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia and how to treat them?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 55 years old. Recently, he had done an ultrasound scan where the technician thought that there is an enlargement of the prostate and then he checked my father's prostate. He asked my father to urinate to check for urine retention. He checked my father, and there was no urine...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Benign prostate hyperplasia is a common problem that happens due to increasing age. Symptoms usually start with difficulty in urinating, repeated nighttime urination, and narrow stream. These symptoms can be managed with oral drugs. USG is not a test to detect malignanc...  Read Full »

I was advised medicines after a routine prostate test, but I have no symptoms. Please suggest.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66 year old male. My only medical history is hypertension (controlled) with Norvasc. I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated: PSA - 9.8 ng/mL. Free PSA - 1.9 ng/mL. Percentage free PSA - 19.4 %. I went back to another doctor a few weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to After analysis of the history provided, I would like to give you a brief idea of the same. Firstly PSA (prostate-specific antigen) varies with age. As the age advances, it keeps increasing. Secondly, in spite of that, the PSA level mentioned in your report is in a hig...  Read Full »

What test should I do for smelly and yellow urine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from prostate infection for the past six months. It started with blood in urine and then burning sensation while urinating. I am also having smelly and yellow urine. Before this, I got mouth ulcers. Also, I had itching sensation throughout the body mainly in the ches...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Is it accompanied by joint pains? Have you done urine culture and sensitivity? Left varicocele causes should be ruled by doing a complete ultrasonography of the abdomen and CT KUB (kidney, ureter and bladder). Serum PSA (prostate specific antigen) should be checked. Have...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.