Q. I was advised medicines after a routine prostate test, but I have no symptoms. Please suggest.

Dr. Sandhya
Published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 66 year old male. My only medical history is hypertension (controlled) with Norvasc. I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated:

• PSA - 9.8 ng/mL.
  • Free PSA - 1.9 ng/mL.
  • Percentage free PSA - 19.4 %.

I went back to another doctor a few weeks ago and he repeated the PSA and did a digital exam and the results were as follows: PSA - above 10 ng/mL. Prostate sightly enlarged, preserved median groove, not nodular, feels rubbery. He prescribed Proscar 4 mg daily for a month. I have absolutely no urinary symptoms. What do you suggest that I do?

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

After analysis of the history provided, I would like to give you a brief idea of the same.

• Firstly PSA (prostate-specific antigen) varies with age. As the age advances, it keeps increasing.
  • Secondly, in spite of that, the PSA level mentioned in your report is in a higher range and more than the normal upper limit.
  • You have also mentioned that a per digital examination was done. And the report suggests features of hyperplasia of the prostate gland, which is basically an enlargement of the prostate gland due to hormonal effects which is normally associated with the aging process. You need not worry about that.
  • As of now:
  1. The Proscar (Finasteride) prescribed by your doctor is a very good medicine. So please continue using it.
  2. For further confirmation, you can also go in for an ultrasound examination.
  3. Having no urinary symptoms suggest that you do not have to worry about anything and it is good to go.
  • Do not forget to follow up regularly with your doctor. 

Stay healthy and be positive.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

I am concerned about my PSA and free PSA values. Kindly guide me.

Query: Hi doctor,On a recent visit to the doctor, my PSA was 4.7 and free PSA was 0.78. The prostate was swollen on the right side, but no bumps or nodes felt. I had another PSA test three weeks later and the result showed PSA 2.5 and free PSA 0.60. Under what percentage do the 0.78 and the 0.60 values fal...  Read Full »

Please explain the side effects of Finasteride.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. I am suffering from androgenetic alopecia since I was 18. Recently a doctor advised me to take Genesis (Finasteride) along with Novophane capsules and to spray Minoxidil. I want to ask whether this is the right type of medication. Also what are the possible side ...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now