Q. I was advised medicines after a routine prostate test, but I have no symptoms. Please suggest.

Dr. Sandhya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 66 year old male. My only medical history is hypertension (controlled) with Norvasc. I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated:

• PSA - 9.8 ng/mL.
  • Free PSA - 1.9 ng/mL.
  • Percentage free PSA - 19.4 %.

I went back to another doctor a few weeks ago and he repeated the PSA and did a digital exam and the results were as follows: PSA - above 10 ng/mL. Prostate sightly enlarged, preserved median groove, not nodular, feels rubbery. He prescribed Proscar 4 mg daily for a month. I have absolutely no urinary symptoms. What do you suggest that I do?

#

After analysis of the history provided, I would like to give you a brief idea of the same.

• Firstly PSA (prostate-specific antigen) varies with age. As the age advances, it keeps increasing.
  • Secondly, in spite of that, the PSA level mentioned in your report is in a higher range and more than the normal upper limit.
  • You have also mentioned that a per digital examination was done. And the report suggests features of hyperplasia of the prostate gland, which is basically an enlargement of the prostate gland due to hormonal effects which is normally associated with the aging process. You need not worry about that.
  • As of now:
  1. The Proscar (Finasteride) prescribed by your doctor is a very good medicine. So please continue using it.
  2. For further confirmation, you can also go in for an ultrasound examination.
  3. Having no urinary symptoms suggest that you do not have to worry about anything and it is good to go.
  • Do not forget to follow up regularly with your doctor. 

Stay healthy and be positive.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|