Q. What are the symptoms and preventive measures for prostate cancer?

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav Vishal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2022

Hi doctor,

I have an enlarged prostate, and I worry that it may become prostate cancer in the future. I am a 50-years-old male, and may I know what are the symptoms of prostate cancer? How should I prevent myself from prostate cancer? Also, what can an enlarged prostate cause me, and how to treat it?



Welcome to

Prostate enlargement and prostate cancer are two different entities. It does not necessarily mean that prostate enlargement leads to prostate cancer. Symptoms of prostate cancer and prostate enlargement are overlapping and it includes blood in urine, urinary flow problems, or bone pain (in higher stages ). The best way to prevent or early detection of prostate cancer is yearly prostate cancer screening which includes,

1. Serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA blood test).

2. Per rectal examination of prostate by a urologist.

This screening method detects prostate cancer at a very early stage. To treat prostate enlargement, you need to do further tests like an abdomen ultrasound and uroflowmetry. These tests decide the severity of enlargement, and medical treatment (alpha-blocker group of medication) is started in mild to moderate cases. In severe cases, surgical procedures such as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) or holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP) are done. I suggest consulting a urologist near you and starting treatment under his supervision.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can suppositories taken for hemorrhoids cause prostate enlargement?

.. The prostate is a male gland function to liquify semen and nourish sperms usually it starts to enlarge after the age of 50 years. I may cause obstructive symptoms or may not. The shape is more important than size as some patients with big prostat...   Read full

I have difficulty urinating and prostate enlargement. Please help.

You can start taking Doudart (Dutasteride and Tamsulosin hydrochloride) one capsule at night before bed daily ...   Read full

Is prostate cancer hereditary?

Hi doctor, My father was detected to have prostate cancer, but they did not give any stage of his cancer ... They used the term highly suspicious of prostate cancer ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.