Q. Area between thigh and abdomen is dark. Please suggest a remedy.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Jan 22, 2018

The joint area between my thigh and abdomen has become darker than the normal skin tone. The skin texture has also changed and itches a lot. When I scratch in the dry condition, flake-like particles come out of it. I am not sure whether it is a fungal infection or something else. It irritates a lot. Please suggest a remedy.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thigh folds and armpits are usually little dark compared to normal skin tone. This is because of constant friction, sweating, and hormonal influence. If you are really worried about skin tone in that area there are few medications which can help like Kojic acid cream, but the effect will be very minimal, cannot expect to get fairer.

Regarding fungal infection in the groin, there is one more condition called inverse psoriasis which affects groin area with white flaky skin. Hence I would suggest you attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comment on your condition and suggest you proper treatment.

However, I would like to mention few skin care tips that are crucial to follow during tinea infections along with medications.

Tinea fungal infections - crucial do’s:

1. Wear dry loose cotton clothes. Try to find inner garments which are 100 % pure cotton. Make use of fans or air conditioners at night to keep the affected part well ventilated.

2. Take bath twice a day. Always use lukewarm water. Avoid using very hot water. Hot water favors fungal growth on the body. Wash the affected parts with cold water once you are done taking bath. Always use a fresh dry towel to wipe off water from the body. Make sure skin folds are totally dry before wearing clothes.

3. Use antifungal dusting powders for your skin folds such as underarms, thigh folds, below breasts, and between the toes.

4. Wash your clothes, towel, and bedspread in hot water and dry them in good sunlight.

5. Eat healthy food, keep your body weight ideal for your height because being overweight or undernourished leads to reduced immunity which increases the chances of acquiring a fungal infection.

6. If you are diabetic, check your blood sugar level frequently and make sure your blood sugars are within the normal range because uncontrolled blood sugar is a risk factor for fungal infection.

7. Ask if any of your family members have a similar fungal infection. If so, encourage them to take treatment.

8. Check your pet animals for rashes. If there are any, take them to a veterinary doctor for treatment. Dogs and cats are also the sources of infection.

9. Always complete the full course of medications prescribed by your dermatologist. Incomplete treatment results in recurrence of fungal infection which is more resistant to treatment.

Tinea (ringworm): crucial don’ts

1. Do not scratch. Scratching makes the rash worse. Ask your dermatologist to prescribe anti-itching medicine.

2. Do not wear synthetic clothes, tight-fitting jeans which do not allow air to flow through them and do not wear wet inner clothes. Do not wear inners while at home, just allow air to flow freely through the affected part.

3. Do not share your personal items such as clothes, towel, soap, or comb with your family members or friends.

4. Do not use over-the-counter (OTC) medications for ringworm. Most of these OTC creams contain steroid in them, which gives faster relief from itching but they make the ringworm spread to a larger area and also make the routine treatment insufficient.

5. Do not use home remedies such as garlic paste to get rid of ringworm. This could burn your skin and leave a permanent scar. Hope this little piece of information is helpful for you. I wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist