Common "Tinea" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Tinea is a fungal skin infection that commonly affects the groin, feet, scalp, and body folds. The types of tinea are ringworm of the scalp and body, athlete's foot, jock itch, and onychomycosis (nail infection). It results in symptoms like itching, burning, cracking, blisters, discoloration of nails, and bald spots on the scalp.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My wife has itchy rashes that are spreading. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife had an itching and rashes problem around private parts, including the lower side of the stomach and thigh area. Initially, it was a small patch; but it spread slowly. The patches spread to all areas below her navel; now, there are big patches below the navel and thigh area. We ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to As per the history you have provided and the images shared (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it is a fungal infection called Tinea. Tinea spreads fast and is contagious. It is not a life-threatening problem. It is a skin infection that completel...  Read Full »

Why do I have itchy rashes on my upper body?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had rashes on my upper body for the past many months. The rashes are itchy. How to get rid of them? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Hope you are doing well. I have gone through the details provided from your end and I do understand your concern. It seems you suffer from a condition called tinea versicolor. Tinea is a fungal infection that is not caused by external stimuli but is usually due to...  Read Full »

I have a map-like rash growing from the folds of my groin. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old, weighing 209 lbs, and my height is 6.4 feet. I have a flat, map-like rash growing from the folds of my groin region. It is itchy, and the edges are pronounced and red, almost like a ringworm. I thought it was a jock itch, but OTC antifungal creams do not work. I used Cl...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I do understand your concern. It appears to be a Tinea, a superficial fungal infection. Apply 1 percent Luliconazole cream twice daily for six weeks. Apply 2 cm beyond margins. Avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions. Avoid activities that cause sweating. Wear loose, com...  Read Full »

I have clustered areas on the shaft after unprotected sex. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I had unprotected sex two days ago, and there are three clustered red areas on the bottom of my shaft. They only slightly itchy, and the skin there is dried. I have heavily researched herpes, and I do not think this is it. Anything else it could be?  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern, but there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to help you better. I need to see the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest the appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Please sen...  Read Full »

The area between my thighs and abdomen is dark. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,The joint area between my thigh and abdomen has become darker than the normal skin tone. The skin texture has also changed and itches a lot. When I scratch in the dry condition, flake-like particles come out of it. I am not sure whether it is a fungal infection or something else. It irr...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thigh folds and armpits are usually a little dark compared to normal skin tone. This is because of constant friction, sweating, and hormonal influence. If you are really worried about skin tone in that area, there are a few medications that can help, like Kojic acid ...  Read Full »

I have developed white spots on my pubic area. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old female, and I have developed raised white spots on my pubic area that are sometimes itchy. Despite never having had sexual intercourse, I previously visited a dermatologist for tinea versicolor on my back. I was prescribed Itraconazole for two weeks, followed by one d...  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

Answer: Hello,Welcome to will receive an answer shortly.Regards.  Read Full »

Please tell me what is the rash near bikini line.

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed some sort of a rash near the bikini line (on the inner left side of the thigh). It is extremely itchy and uncomfortable. Could you please tell me what it is. The image is attached.  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is tinea which is a superficial fungal infection of the skin. You need to take oral and topical antifungals. If I was your treating doctor I wou...  Read Full »

I have an itching and scratching tendency near my anal opening. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have an Itching and scratching tendency near the left side of the anal opening, especially after sweating. The discomfort started one week ago. I am applying Abzorb powder in the affected area after cleaning, which is giving good relief, but it is not going away completely. There is n...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through the details provided from your end and I do understand your concern. The concern you are facing is tinea infection also called tinea cruris which is a fungal infection of the anal opening area. It is due to the fact the area is unexposed and ther...  Read Full »

Why do my itchy groin lesions keep coming back after treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28-year-old female. I had itchy lesions in my groin. My doctor examined it and confirmed it was a fungal infection. I was prescribed capsule Itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for 2 weeks, Neurolix Plus for 1 week and Canesten cream (Clotrimazole) to apply for 3 months. I was respondi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq, and thank you for choosing us as your provider for health care. I have gone through all your details and appreciate your concern. Tinea cruris, a fungal infection in the groin area, can be caused by various factors, including moisture and sweat buildup, the area being l...  Read Full »

How to get rid of my fungal infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having fungal infections on my inner thighs, ankle, arms, and back for about six months now. I have taken 250 mg of Terbinafine for one month along with antifungal cream. But, I did not see any difference. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your descriptions.If you can send pictures then it will be very helpful to us in management. Since you are having fungal infections from last six months, have you tried anything before Terbinafine? I am asking to rule out any applications of topical steroid contain...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.