Q. Can Kegel exercises be effective in the treatment of premature ejaculation?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I need an appointment for sex therapy for severe premature ejaculation (PE). I have had this issue, at least for the last two years. I have tried everything available over the counter, like numbing gels, condoms with Benzocaine, Lidocaine, different positions, and even mental health therapy for three months. I tend to have anxiety issues (although never diagnosed medically), but I suffer from PE even on good days. I believe this is a medical issue. I would appreciate an urgent appointment as this is significantly impacting my relationship with my girlfriend. Thank you.

#

Thanks for the query. Most of the time, premature ejaculation is due to psychogenic causes. Those who masturbate a lot or have sex with females just for pleasure without having an emotional attachment to them (as is the case with husband-wife) their brains learn to seek pleasure by reaching climax instantly. Thus their threshold for orgasm is very low. All needed to treat this condition is to teach and train the brain not to reach orgasm. The following points should be considered to do this: 1. Avoid masturbating, avoid watching porn or other erotica or explicit videos 2. Avoid having sex with random partners, marry one and love her, have an emotional attachment. 3. Do not aim to get an orgasm; the goal should be to give pleasure to your partner. 4. When you feel near to ejaculation, divert your mind away from sexual activity (difficult but not impossible) 5. When near to orgasm, stop stroking. Restart in 15-20 seconds. 6. Clearly explain your problem with your partner and ask her to cooperate. 7. Last but not least, have the firm determination that you have to control your mind and premature ejaculation. Formal psychological and behavioral therapy is very effective also. Numbing gels can help, but the real problem is in your mind. Control mind. All this training will take some time, but the problem resolves for 90% of people. Until your brain gets trained, you can try having sex twice. First will have premature ejaculation, but in the second session, you will last longer.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I have tried all of these options. I have been in a monogamous relationship with the same woman for the last two years. She has been very understanding and stayed with me while I tried things one after the other without any consistent improvement. Stopping before ejaculation and restarting has helped occasionally, but I have not found a reliable solution even after doing Kegel exercises and working on my mental health. I believe that at this point, only medication will help reduce this problem. Could you please refer me to a sex therapist for a consultation?

#

Yes, kegel's exercise is also effective. Sex therapists and behavioral psychologists will also advise these measures and will practically follow if you visit in person. Visiting personally and receiving in-person counseling will be more effective. Also, consult a urologist who does treat sexual issues, especially if the organic cause is there.

|