Q. How can I improve my erection?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Mar 10, 2019

How are you doing? I hope you are good. My age is 29, from the last 8 to 9 days, I did not have a proper erection. This did not happen with me earlier. I am a bit worried because of this issue, also I am sleeping at 4 O'clock in the morning and waking up at 9 O'clock in the morning. Please let me know if this is a major issue or I should make changes in my lifestyle or on food intake.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

The cause of poor erection is due to poor blood to penile vasculature. The main cause is that a young person like you is psychological in nature like anxiety or tension due to poor communication between the partner or due to depression, fatigue, stress. The medical conditions such as thyroid dysfunction or diabetes, hypertension, etc., can also cause this. So first get these things checked that you have these medical illnesses or not. If you have any medical illness, then get them treated.

Take a healthy diet and include fruit. Anything that is bad for the heart is also bad for the penis. Maintain a healthy weight. Do regular exercise. Avoid any substance use. Stop alcohol or tobacco, you can use the Mediterranean diet. If using any medicine, then check it with your doctor. Manage your stress effectively. Take adequate sleep, six to eight hours of sleep daily and maintain good sleep hygiene. Probably these things will help you.

Erectile dysfunction is an issue of concern but first, try these things and get yourself evaluated and meanwhile try the above-mentioned tips. If these things do not help you then consult with your Psychiatrist in person for further evaluation.

| 

I believed this was not a regular issue. I am facing this issue since last week. I will make the necessary changes and what are good foods for this?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

Good food means taking plant-based food as much as possible, using olive oil instead of butter. Avoid or minimize the salt, fat, butter. If it is not a regular issue than these changes in food and exercise will definitely help you. Also, sometimes because of workload or stress or fatigue it can happen. So, you can try the sexual activity in the morning so that fatigue part will be minimal. Sometimes pelvic floor muscles exercise can do some relief. You can watch video on pelvic floor muscles exercise and can use it.

| 

Yes, I have been facing this from the last week. Since last week, I did not feel any sort of erection. I will do the necessary mentioned above and do you think this is an area of concern?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

Erectile dysfunction is an issue of concern as it may be due to underlying medical illness or psychological in origin but it can affect your relationship. If it is due to underlying medical illness then managing that will help you to recover from this. If it is due to stress or fatigue or psychological issues then manage accordingly. Talk with your partner regarding this. Spend enough time during foreplay. Do not think much about erection problems and just enjoy the foreplay and then do the sexual activity.

Follow the tips as mentioned earlier. If the problem still persists then visit your family physician or psychiatrist for further evaluation to find the exact cause and management. Drugs like Sildenafil or Tadalafil are used to treat erectile dysfunction.

| 

This is happening since last 10 days, no erection. I am not married but in the sleep and during the morning in sleep, I have felt erections or small erection in the sleep but while awake it is not working, no erection at all. I tried to watched erotic video also not working, erections in sleep is a good sign or bad sign? I will see the doctor in person. Any basic medicines?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

Erection during sleep is a good sign and it indicates that blood supply to the penis is good. It also indicates that your erection problem is most probably psychological in nature. Be assured, it is not a big issue as you are having sleep erection. Just relax.

You can wait and watch for a few days, and probably your issue will resolve. There is no need for medicine at this point of time. Try to figure out any stress or psychological issues and correct them. Once that is correct, your erection will be normal. If possible, correct your sleep cycle and take good sleep, maintain good sleep hygiene. Do some exercise or go for morning walk atleast 40 minutes daily. Avoid alcohol, tobacco. If this does not resolve in next one or two weeks, then see your family doctor or Psychiatrist.

| 

I feel semi-erection in the morning. When I wake up, the erection is completely finished. I do not know what is the issue. Can I go to the doctor or take any supplements or any juices like I felt I am having semi erections. Can I use any medicine this week? Only my engagement was confirmed. Yes, I felt semi erections in sleep not today, for the last two days as well. Any solution to my problem? I took this in the morning, the picture has been attached for the supplement.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

I get to know now that what is stress, it is your engagement probably. Do not worry. It is quite normal to have psychological erection problems during such time. Do not worry at all, it will be alright. Just do not focus on erection. Talk to your fiance as you talk normally. Just enjoy the new relationship and do not worry about your erection problem as of now, it is probably due to anxiety and will be normal in a few weeks.

Yes, some medicine like Ginseng, Ginko are somewhat helpful. You can use Ginseng for this. But I do not think that you require medicine at this point of time. You can still use Ginseng. What is more important that you should enjoy your new relationship and just forget about sexual activity that you will be able to perform or will satisfy your partner. Spend good time or talk with your fiancee that will boost your confidence and you will be happy after talking with her.

As you mentioned earlier that you had night time (semi) erection, that is good, as this indicates that the blood supply to your penis is alright and nothing wrong with penis blood flow. So just relax. If you think more about this, the problem will be more as it is due to anxiety, so relax. Play some games, listen to some music or just go outdoors.

| 

It happened yesterday, suddenly arranged marriage. I went to the doctor, he told he will do blood test and all my issue is how suddenly I am facing this issue. I felt in sleep I was having erections, semi erections but why this is not happening during day time if I see my penis it is small in size like if it is scared, no erection at all when I watched videos or anything. Any tablets do you recommend like for normal erections, please? I will change my lifestyle, will sleep well, eat good food and exercise. Please recommend some tablets and what do you feel about my problem? Is it physical?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

As I mentioned earlier that such sudden onset of the problem is more like psychological in origin and night time semi-erection also support that your erection problem is more like psychological and not physical. Wait for your blood report and discuss this issue with your doctor and no need to hesitate.

As I said that drug treatment is usually not required in such situations. However, Ginseng like food supplements can be used. Drug like Sildenafil (Viagra) 50 mg or Tadalafil 10 mg 30 minutes before sexual activity can be used. This type of drug should not be used if you have heart illness or you are on Nitrates. Erection is not happening during day time because you have some anxiety and stress that prevents the brain to act like that but during the sleep it acts as normal. As such our state of mind control erection and now you are too anxious to have a proper erection.

The second issue, the small size of the penis does not matter because initial few centimeters of penis and vagina are sensitive to touch, rest of the part is not sensitive. So size does not matter in satisfying your partner. Once your blood reports are with you, just ask these questions again to your doctor and he will clarify again. Just relax.

| 

Why do I not get an erection with my new partner?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not know why, but I do not feel confident and cannot get a boner with this new partner I have. I am depressed and this is nothing new to me. I have dated her before and it was the same thing. She really intimidates me and this does not happen with other partners I have had. Pleas...  Read Full »

Does stress affect my menstrual bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I consulted with you the last time whether I can be pregnant as I had sex with my partner on the eighth day of my period and we used condoms as protection. You told that I would not get pregnant. Today I am on the fifth day of my period. On the first two days, the bleeding was no...  Read Full »

My penis is not erecting properly. Please advice ayurvedic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old working bachelor planning to get married in next 4 to 5 months. But I am very tensed and concerned about my penis size and erectile potential. For last 5 to 6 months penis is not erecting properly and less hardness. Please suggest me some Ayurdevic remedies to improve h...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now