Q. Can stimulant medication be prescribed after an episode of psychosis?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Is it ever appropriate to prescribe stimulant medication after an episode of psychosis? I am a patient that has done well on them in the past and is struggling to mange my ADHD without them. The psychosis happened last year during a period of social isolation.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You have raised a very pertinent question. Stimulant medication can raise the risk of relapse in psychotic symptoms. If psychotic symptoms were clearly treatment-emergent, generally it is not advisable to try stimulants again. If ADHD symptoms are problematic, you can discuss with your doctor about trying non-stimulant options like Intuniv (Guanfacine XR). Also, try to follow behavioral strategies to manage ADHD symptoms.

| 

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

Article Overview: For the first time, a team of researchers was able to demonstrate a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Read Article

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Nutritionist

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). A research team published a very interesting study demonstrating for the first time, a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Children who ...  Read Article

I had an episode of psychosis. How long should I stay on the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35 years old male. I had an episode of psychosis for the first time four months ago and is treated with Risperidone and Escitalopram. For how long should I stay on the treatment?  Read Full »

I have symptoms of ADHD like fidgeting, restlessness, etc. Does someone gets ADHD in their teenage years?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 16-year-old male. I am concerned about my mental health. I have symptoms of ADHD like fidgeting, restlessness, being very talkative, losing focus or attention, but I am very extroverted, and my academic ratings are good. Does someone get ADHD in their teenage years? And am I on...  Read Full »