Pure Tone Audiometry

My ear is rumbling following a throat infection. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 years old. About 4 weeks ago, I had a viral infection of the throat and nose, which lasted for about a week. At that time, my left ear became completely blocked with fluid for at least a few days. Then, I started getting a low rumbling noise in my ear. At first, I used to get the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This problem is called as tinnitus. As you have mentioned, you started with this problem after an upper respiratory tract infection that resulted in effusion in your ear through blockage of eustachian tube. It is quite possible that your eustachian tube is still n...  Read Full »

What are the causes of hearing loss?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is suffering from hearing loss for the last 10 days. There is no pain in the ear, but sudden hearing loss. She can hear, but hearing capacity reduced by more than 30%. Please tell me some solution for this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description of rapid progression of hearing loss of your mother-in-law fits into a sudden hearing loss. It needs detailed history and examination. What are the onset and progression of hearing loss? Did she have any trauma? Is she on any drug or antibiotic? Is th...  Read Full »

Can ADHD and PTSD cause hearing impairment?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a man in my early twenties that started using hearing aids about a year ago. I am very happy with this, it has really changed my life. Just recently I started reading up a bit more and now I feel very confused and weird about it all. The thing is, I was told I had a mild mid-freq...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me tell you a statement which explains it perfectly. The ear receives the sound but interpretation of sound happens at the brain. So many a times with mild hearing loss speech perception is low moreover you have tinnitus too. I hope you have fitted with digital pr...  Read Full »

I have chronic migraine and auditory processing disorder. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a chronic migraine for almost five months now, no medicines or treatments have worked and transferring to a hospital with more resources soon. Over the past few years, I have noticed that I am having more and more trouble hearing. You could knock, walk into the room, and ask...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Auditory processing disorder could be the possible reason but before that, the initial level of otosclerosis (spongy bone formation in the middle ear ossicle restricts the sound transmission, middle ear infection) should be ruled out. My advice is to consult with an a...  Read Full »

I have constant pressure around the ear and nerve twitches. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have ear pain going all the way down to my foot. I also have vertigo and tinnitus. It has been two years. I feel constant pressure around ear and nerve twitches in whole body. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your problem. As you say you have radiating ear pain along with pressure around the ear and vertigo and tinnitus. There can be many reasons to this. Have you got any checkup done? If not I feel right away you will need the following investigations: ...  Read Full »

I experience ringing sound with itching in the ear. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two days, I have a ringing sound in my right ear. I have not been exposed to loud music but for the last week are so I had itching and the day before the ringing started and my right ear was blocked. So I cleared it with hydrogen peroxide but the ringing is not going away...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What doctor has prescribed you is correct. Audiometry will see if you have any associated hearing loss and tympanometry will see if there is any middle ear infection that is causing hearing loss. (though the prescription is not attached). Wisdom tooth will cause radiat...  Read Full »

My son has severe ear pain and ringing sound in ear. What is the solution for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son has been complaining of severe ear pain (just right ear) and occasionally says that he hears a sound in the same ear. When he is abroad he has a nonstop cold, phlegm and chest congestion. But when he travels here he is absolutely fine. He also suffers from nose blo...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you taken an adenoid x-ray? Can you upload the x-ray if you have taken it? Do you think there could be some allergen in his place abroad which could be causing allergy and nose block in your son? Does he take food properly? Is there any dust inside the house abroad...  Read Full »

What causes ringing noise and humming alternatively?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 69 year old retired internist. I am not taking any regular medication other than Aspirin 325 mg. I have no known allergies and have never smoked. I do not have any medical history of thyroid disease, autoimmune diseases or Paget's disease. Around four to five weeks back, I noted th...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you are suffering from is known as tinnitus. It is not a disease itself rather a symptom due to various underlying causes like age related, hypertension, impacted wax, fluid in middle ear, patulous eustachian tube, TMJD (temperomandibular joint disorder), hypert...  Read Full »

Does tinnitus go away on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, Two months ago, I developed tinnitus which is not yet corrected. At that time, I had water trapped in my right ear but now my ear blockage problem is resolved but my tinnitus problem is not resolved. After this, I went to an ENT and he told me I have a swelling in my left ear. Now he ...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, do not worry and do not go to some conclusion after an internet search. Now coming to your problem, Tinnitus is not a disease in itself but a mere symptom that is associated with varying number of diseases. By definition, it is a sound perceived for mo...  Read Full »

Why am I having right ear fullness and background noise?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having right ear fullness and it started several days ago. Last night I awoke due to a pulsating pain in my right ear. I hear some background noise and in silent environment, it is most evident. Is that fine? I had Bell's palsy 2.5 months ago on the left side and again, a month ago o...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having sensorineural hearing loss. It is in early stage and mild. So, you are having pulsation in the ear. Another important thing is bilateral Bell's palsy. It is not common. Having facial palsy is not good and the developing sensorineural component...  Read Full »