Q. Will tinnitus go away on its own?

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi
Published on Jan 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

Two months ago, I developed tinnitus which is not yet corrected. At that time, I had water trapped in my right ear but now my ear blockage problem is resolved but my tinnitus problem is not resolved. After this, I went to an ENT and he told me I have a swelling in my left ear. Now he checked my left ear and he told me my left ear is cleaned and fine. But my tinnitus is not going. I have high pitched sound in my left ear. I think I had two to three times water trapped in my both ear within one year. I have normal blood pressure and currently, I do not have any cough and cold. I do not have any problem with hearing loss and I hear low and high sound easily. I do not have any vertigo or numbness on face. After checking my ears, my doctor told me my ear is clean. I do not have any discharge in my both ear and do not have any pain in my ear. I have a fear that tinnitus is due to an acoustic neuroma. But, I do not have any neurological symptoms. I read online. After reading this, I am fearful. I can even manage tinnitus but now I am worried it is a tumor. Is my problem a big one?

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

First of all, do not worry and do not go to some conclusion after an internet search.

Now coming to your problem, Tinnitus is not a disease in itself but a mere symptom that is associated with varying number of diseases. By definition, it is a sound perceived for more than five minutes at a time in the absence of any external acoustical or electrical stimulus to ear. It may be subjective, when audible to patient only or objective when audible to both patient and examiner. Now exclude the objective tinnitus because if it was the case your doctor must have diagnosed it.

Now come to subjective tinnitus. The causes may be as simple as impacted wax, middle ear fluid and eustachian tube dysfunction to more severe ones like Meniere's disease, otosclerosis, noise trauma or acoustic neuroma. Now let us try to exclude them first.

Acoustic neuroma mostly is seen between 40 to 60 years, first symptoms to arise is progressive unilateral hearing loss associated with tinnitus after that comes other signs and symptoms like numbness of face, dysphagia and hoarseness in the later stage when the tumor becomes more than 2.5 cm. But you do not have a hearing impairment or other symptoms. For confirmation at least you can get a PTA (pure tone audiometry) and SISI (short increment sensitivity index).

Now coming to otosclerosis which starts in the twenties but more common in females and presenting symptoms progressive bilateral (sometimes unilateral) hearing loss with tinnitus. Again for confirmation, you need a PTA.

Now Meniere's disease, it presents with tinnitus, episodic vertigo, aural fullness and again fluctuating hearing loss, which is not present in your case. We have excluded the sever ones till now assuming you have written about all signs and symptoms and you don't have hearing loss, vertigo, aural fullness etc. If you have missed something contact me in my email.

Sometimes, tinnitus is caused by very simple causes like impacted wax (which is not the obvious cause as your previous doctor must have diagnosed it) or eustachian tube dysfunction which many times gets unnoticed by the doctor. To rule out this at least you need to do Valsalva maneuver 30 to 40 times a day. If it is the cause, tinnitus gradually will decrease in severity. So, why not give it a try for two days minimum. If tinnitus is not subsiding after two days better to do some test like a PTA, tympanometry and a SISI. Hope this will help you and wishing you a faster recovery.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I have only fear about tumors in the brain. But as I already mentioned that I do not have any neurological symptoms like unconsciousness, unsteadiness, etc. Please tell me will tinnitus go away on its own?

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• As I have already mentioned, acoustic neuroma first presents with a progressive hearing loss with tinnitus which is not present in your case. For confirmation get a Pure tone audiometry which will reveal any hearing impairment if present.
  • Till then, just do Valsalva 30 to 40 times and take tablet Solvin (Chlorpheniramine, Paracetamol, and Phenylephrine) BD and capsule Ginkoba-M OD for seven days.

Hope this will help you.

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. S...  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does she have any ear discharge too? What medicines has she been taking for hypertension? Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started. There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus...  Read Full

Is it normal to hear a little sound in a closed room?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed that when I am alone in a closed room or studying, I hear some sound. My father used to say this is because of wax in the ear, but when my ears are clean, I still hear the sound. I am sure that my hearing is fine. Could this be the sound of blood circulation? Is it n...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is called tinnitus, and there are many reasons for it. Some of the reasons are an infection of the middle and external ear, otosclerosis, sensorineural hearing loss, glue ear, anatomical variations of the vessels, etc. First, we need to examine your ears and do ...  Read Full