Q. I found a tiny painless protrusion in the gum above my left canine tooth. What is that?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Just above my upper left canine tooth, in the gum, a tiny protrusion of tooth or bone (painless) can be felt with the finger. The gum surrounding the protrusion is slightly raised, but the whole thing is only about 2 mm in diameter. No other symptoms or visual abnormalities. I have not had a tooth extraction.

#

I would like to know if you remember any history of injury to the site? And how long have you been noticing this? Did it increase or decrease in size or observed any color change?

There are 2-3 probabilities in your case as much I can make out from photograph/your attachment: (attachment removed to protect patient's identity).

1. This can be a pyogenic granuloma.

2. It can be a cyst.

3. Can be simply an infection.

I would suggest you consult a dentist if there is associated pain or any discharge from the site. For now, I would suggest you to keep the area clean, do warm water and salt rinse three to four times daily, and not to hurt the area with a toothbrush or anything.

Follow up after a week.

|