Q. I found a tiny painless protrusion in the gum above my left canine tooth. What is that?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
Published on Oct 14, 2019

Just above my upper left canine tooth, in the gum, a tiny protrusion of tooth or bone (painless) can be felt with the finger. The gum surrounding the protrusion is slightly raised, but the whole thing is only about 2 mm in diameter. No other symptoms or visual abnormalities. I have not had a tooth extraction.

#

I would like to know if you remember any history of injury to the site? And how long have you been noticing this? Did it increase or decrease in size or observed any color change?

There are 2-3 probabilities in your case as much I can make out from photograph/your attachment: (attachment removed to protect patient's identity).

1. This can be a pyogenic granuloma.

2. It can be a cyst.

3. Can be simply an infection.

I would suggest you consult a dentist if there is associated pain or any discharge from the site. For now, I would suggest you to keep the area clean, do warm water and salt rinse three to four times daily, and not to hurt the area with a toothbrush or anything.

Follow up after a week.

What is the treatment for dentigerous cyst and odontoma present in my lower gums?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been detected with a dentigerous cyst and compound odontoma inside my lower gums. I have been advised for removal of the cyst and to have a biopsy of the cyst for odontoma. I do not have pain and swelling. I visited a dentist before few months where I took an X-ray. We found a sma...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cysts are small, they can be left untreated. But the problem is that the cysts can create an infection later. They can also cause more issues like tooth mobility, bone loss or any other transformation. So it is better to remove it. Odontomas are developmental. Th...  Read Full

My pimple turned into a bleeding bump. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a pimple a few weeks ago that vastly turned into a little bump that will not stop bleeding. It has been like this for about two weeks, and it is driving me mad. I am not sure what it is or what to do.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that you have developed pyogenic granuloma. The best treatment for this is radiofrequency cautery. It should be done by dermatologist only. I suggest you apply Mu...  Read Full

What is this pink lump on the roof of my mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I have a large pink lump on the roof of the mouth that goes through my teeth. I have attached the photos for your reference. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and understand your concern regarding your dental health. From the picture, it looks like a pyogenic granuloma which is very common at this age and is easily treatable. But,...  Read Full