Q. Is Zoloft safe for heart?

Answered by Dr. Suresh Kumar G D and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Qt Prolongation or Ecg? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have anxiety disorder from the age of 15 (will be 35 by the end of this month). I started having frequent panic attacks and debilitating anxiety after my grandmother's death. Before all this, I had been on Paxil. Six months before, my doctor switched me to Zoloft 50 mg and increased to 100mg and 150mg in the following consecutive months.

I am very worried about the possible QTc prolongation and sudden cardiac death. I struggle daily to take Zoloft. I had three ECG. First one was taken before six months, the second one before a month and the third one in this month in which my QTc was 400 to 420. Is Zoloft safe? Will it cause me sudden cardiac death?