Q. My ECG report says that I have a right bundle branch block. Does it require attention?

Dr. Shoaib Javeed Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2018

My ECG report says that I have a right bundle branch block. What is it? Does it require attention?

#

The heart works on electrical signals/impulses that are sent through a pathway. This finally reaches the side/part of the heart that produces the heartbeat. This pathway is complicated. And when there is any abnormality along this pathway, it can result in a condition called bundle branch block.

In this condition, there is a delay in the delivery of this impulse to that region of the heart (right or left), thus resulting in a delayed heartbeat. Bundle branch block (BBB) is not treated directly as it usually does not require treatment. But once observed, an elaborate evaluation has to be conducted to find the exact cause. This cause has to be treated once found.

|