Q. Will taking Citalopram cause QT prolongation?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

I just did some EKGs on a portable device and they all said not abnormal. Would just like an expert to look them over to make sure they agree and it is correct? I just started Citalopram 10 mg for about five days and now on 20 mg daily for the past two days. Saw that it could cause a QT prolongation. So, just wanted to make sure this was not occurring.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

After carefully reviewing your uploaded ECG recordings, I would like to assure you that your QTc interval is not more 440 ms, which is not dangerous or life-threatening for a female patient. Coming to this point, you are not actually at an increased risk of cardiac arrhythmia under your current therapy (Citalopram).

In addition, I would recommend to frequently control your ECG (at least every three months) coupled with blood electrolytes levels and avoid any potential adverse events induced by this therapy.

|