Q. What are the chances of getting internal bleeding with Excedrin and Citalopram?

Dr. Aida Quka

I am 31 years old, female and I am currently taking Citalopram 20 mg daily and take Excedrin periodically usually around the cycle when my HAS start but in the last four weeks, I have only not taken Excedrin for 10 days. Some days I only take one tablet, but never more than two tablets in a 24 hour period. Is this safe and fine to do? I was just wondering because someone told me that the Excedrin with Citalopram could cause internal bleeding and I never knew that and just want to know if that is correct or not? Current medications: Citalopram 20 mg, Excedrin as needed, Vitamin B12 1000 mcg daily, prenatal Vitamin, Proair inhaler as needed.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and agree with you on the fact that both Citalopram and Excedrin increase the risk of bleeding. But the main problem is that taking Excedrin so frequently may lead to drug-induced daily headaches. From the other hand, Citalopram does not seem to be really effective in preventing headaches.

For this reason, I would recommend discussing with your doctor on the possibility of switching to another medication for the prevention of headaches. In this regard, I would recommend switching to low dose Amitriptyline. I would like to know more about the description of your headaches in order to be able to suggest more treatment options.

|