Q. My son slept near my mobile overnight. Would this cause any harm to him?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

My 3 year old sleeps beside me all the time. I was using my phone while in bed last night. I accidently fell asleep and left the phone down. I normally leave the phone on my bedside locker. I woke this morning, and my son was lying right beside my phone. His head was on top of it. Would this do him any harm? I know about the radiation from the mobile phone is not good. He has a severe speech delay, so cannot tell me if he has a headache.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I like to inform you that there is little to worry. Fortunately, the standard mobile brands follow stringent radiation control measures, and the radiation emission from the standard phone is well within safe limits provided the use is not too extensive (more than two to three hours).
  • Considering his sleep of seven hours and assuming that he was over the phone for the whole night the likely radiation delivered to him is less than one week dose of safe limits, which is quite low to cause any irreversible or acute damage.
  • As per my experience and data available, I like to assure you that probably he is not affected.
  • Now, regarding the phone management, I take this opportunity to keep all electronic gadgets away from your bedroom. If that is not possible keep them in switch off mode to ensure your safety.
  • I must acknowledge that we have limited data in this regard and have a cautious attitude likely to help us.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|