Q. I had a pelvic CT scan with contrast done. Will this affect my plans to have kids?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 03, 2019

I had a lower GI and pelvic CT scan with contrast done at the age of 36 years. I fly a lot. I want kids. Did this scan harm my eggs or increase my chances of developing cancer? Nothing was found in the scan, and the MSV was 8.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

The contrast CT scan pelvis has exposed you to radiation of 8 mSv as recorded on the machine. For a 36 year old female patient, this means you are exposed to an additional cancer risk of 0.09 percent. In other words, there is a 99.91 percent chance of having no effects due to the CT scan pelvis.

Flying exposes a pilot to radiation of approximately 2.2 mSv/year. Natural radiation we are exposed to is approximately 3.1 mSv/year. In conclusion, the 8 mSv radiation exposure has not caused any significant adverse effects and will not affect your plans to have kids.

Hope this answers your question.

| 

I slept with my phone under my testicles. When can I safely try for a baby again?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, unfortunately, I slept with my mobile phone under my testicles. I slept like that for five hours. I have heard of mobile radiations causing harm to the sperm and testicular cells by affecting the DNA. My problem is that my wife and I are both 34 years old and are planning for...  Read Full »

Can you please interpret my ultrasound?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been sick for two years. I was diagnosed with HPV two years back, but no treatment was done. Recently, I was diagnosed with anemia. I have lower back pain, fatigue, tingling in legs, right and left pelvic pain. Currently, I am taking Effexor and Adderall. I had an ultrasound done. ...  Read Full »

Ask a Radiologist Now