Radioactive Iodine

How is papillary thyroid carcinoma treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has¬†thyroid papillary carcinoma. Five months back she got a surgery in both sides of her thyroid gland. What is the best treatment for this? Please guide.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your mother's state. The protocol of treatment of papillary carcinoma of thyroid is total thyroidectomy followed by therapeutic radioactive Iodine therapy. Radioactive Iodine is given to detect and eradicate any residual tumor left after surgery. Resi...  Read Full »

What is the most recommended treatment for Graves' disease, surgery or radio-iodine?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 19 years old and has been diagnosed with Graves' disease. He had it for nine months. He is now on 2.5 mg of Methimazole and his TSH, T3, T4 are stable. I know the disease never goes away but he is a college athlete and we need his energy back and more stable environment h...  Read Full »

Dr. Minal Mohit Vohra

Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest radio ablation is the better option if he is a non-smoker, if he has no eye signs, and if the gland is not very large. As far as your worries are concerned, 1. Fertility is no question. Yes, we suggest avoiding a baby for six months, but your son ...  Read Full »

What is cauterized tumor?

Query: Hi doctor, Could you answer from my pathology report whether the tumor encapsulated or nonencapsulated? Does it show positive margin or free margin? Could you explain me the findings in detail? Thanks in advance.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope this report finds you in good health. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: In the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is no mention of an encapsulation. Usually in classical papillary carcinoma as you had, there is no capsule...  Read Full »

What are long-term cancer implications of receiving radiation due to I-131 treatments?

Query: Hello doctor, What are the long-term cancer implications of receiving 1500 to 2000+ mSv of radiation due to I-131 treatments and substantial diagnostic testing?  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The I-131 treatment aims to destroy the remnant thyroid cells in the body. Short-term side effects of RAI (radioactive iodine) treatment are as follows: Local tenderness and swelling. Nausea. Swelling and tender of the salivary glands and resultant dry mouth. Redu...  Read Full »

Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possib...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your father. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? No. Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Yes, it compl...  Read Full »

How can hyperthyroidism be effectively treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old man. I have suffered from hyperthyroidism for more than 20 years. I have been to many doctors but I have not got any long-term benefits. They gave me Methimazole, Propranolol, and Cyproheptadine for a while. I put on weight for a while but became skinny again. I nee...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report only shows that your thyroid hormones are not controlled. Hyperthyroid patients should control their thyroid. You have to know the appropriate dose of Methimazole 1 ...  Read Full »