Q. What is the best treatment for papillary thyroid carcinoma?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My mom has thyroid papillary carcinoma. Five months back she got a surgery in both sides of her thyroid gland. What is the best treatment for this? Please guide.

#

Sorry to hear about your mother's state.

• Radioactive Iodine is given to detect and eradicate any residual tumor left after surgery.
  • Residual tissue present takes up radioiodine (Iodine - 131) and the radioactive Iodine will destroy it with emission of radiation. So, this is currently the best approach and the prognosis is excellent.
  • Your mother will require lifelong thyroid hormone replacement therapy.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full »

Is thyroidectomy recommended for inconclusive thyroid cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, A year ago, I got a biopsy for two nodules in thyroid. The result for one was benign and the other inconclusive. This year I went back to a different doctor to redo my indeterminate biopsy. She advised me do for both again, because through ultrasound they look angry or vicious. In my righ...  Read Full »

I have a blurry vision and feel dizzy. Can it be a demyelinating disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old, and I have Graves' disease. I had a total thyroidectomy last year. I have since been screened for other autoimmune conditions, but so far none have been found. Over the last 2 to 3 weeks, I have been noticing a gradual onset of some strange neurological symptoms. It...  Read Full »