Q. What is the best treatment for papillary thyroid carcinoma?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My mom has thyroid papillary carcinoma. Five months back she got a surgery in both sides of her thyroid gland. What is the best treatment for this? Please guide.

#

Sorry to hear about your mother's state.

• Radioactive Iodine is given to detect and eradicate any residual tumor left after surgery.
  • Residual tissue present takes up radioiodine (Iodine - 131) and the radioactive Iodine will destroy it with emission of radiation. So, this is currently the best approach and the prognosis is excellent.
  • Your mother will require lifelong thyroid hormone replacement therapy.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|