Q. What are long-term cancer implications of receiving radiation due to I-131 treatments?

Dr. Chitrangada

What are the long-term cancer implications of receiving 1500 to 2000+ mSv of radiation due to I-131 treatments and substantial diagnostic testing?

#

The I-131 treatment aims to destroy the remnant thyroid cells in the body. Short-term side effects of RAI (radioactive iodine) treatment are as follows:

1. Local tenderness and swelling.
  2. Nausea.
  3. Swelling and tender of the salivary glands and resultant dry mouth.
  4. Reduced tear formation.

Radioactive iodine may also affect ovaries, and some women may have irregular periods for a few months. Both men and women who have had RAI therapy may have a slightly increased risk of developing leukemia in the future. Though this is an extremely rare complication.

For more information consult an interventional radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/interventional-radiologist

| 

How is papillary thyroid carcinoma treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has thyroid papillary carcinoma. Five months back she got a surgery in both sides of her thyroid gland. What is the best treatment for this? Please guide.  Read Full »

My periods are irregular and not conceiving. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put ...  Read Full »

Is WBC count is 40000 suggestive of leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, What would you think if you see a WBC count as 40000 on CBC findings? Is it enough to think about leukemia or lymphoma? What is the difference between leukemia and leukemoid reaction? Please explain.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Interventional Radiologist Now