Q. My 3. 5-year-old son gets cold, runny nose, and watery eyes when the weather changes. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

My son is three and a half years old. He is prone to change in weather and he gets affected with cold, running nose, and eyes often. Sometimes, he gets a sore throat which means that he gets hoarseness in his voice. He is not having a fever. While having running eyes and nose, I give him Wikoryl. During sore throat, I give him Zyrcold. Is there any other preventive treatment to resolve these symptoms? Please suggest a treatment to get resolved. We give him Vitamin C supplements frequently.

#

As per the description, he seems to have hyperactive airway disease. You can start giving a course of tablet Montair 4 mg (Montelukast) one tablet daily at 8 pm for six months and observe the changes in the frequency of the symptoms. While having an acute episode of cough or cold, along with tablet Montair, you can give syrup Levolin (Levosalbutamol) twice a day for five to seven days. Follow the dose as per the weight of the child. You can give nebulization with Duolin and Budecort of 2 ml on an SOS (save our soul) basis for getting relief. If there is a cold, you can give syrup Cetzine (Cetirizine) once at night for three to five days.

|