Q. I get cold frequently with fever and heavy head. Why?

Dr. Prasun Mishra
Published on Nov 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I get frequent cold, and it will be severe with a fever of 102-103 degrees. My head remains heavy, and I have thick mucus when I blow my nose. I usually get sneeze with a change in outside temperature. Please help.

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

From the way you have described your symptoms which include recurrent fever, cold, and heavy head with nasal discharge. It is very apparent that you are suffering from chronic sinusitis, and whenever you have acute attacks it leads to the above symptoms.

For treatment:

1) During acute episodes when you have fever and cold, at that time you will need a seven days course of antibiotics and decongestants. Take Amoxy-Clav 625 mg (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) one tablet two times a day after food, and Wikoryl (Paracetamol, Phenylephrine, and Levocetirizine) one tablet twice a day. Along with this, you will need Nasivion drops, two drops twice a day for not more than seven days.

2) However, this will be a temporary treatment. You will have to get a CT (computed tomography) scan of the PNS (paranasal sinus) axial and coronal view done.

3) Based on the CT Scan reports, we can decide if you need just medical management or any surgical intervention in the form of surgery called FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgery).

What are the treatment options for chronic sinusitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from nasal blockage for the past 1.5 months. Generally, I have cold and cough problems from past 10 to 12 years, which becomes worse during the weather change. Earlier, I had breathing problem, but have been experiencing nose blockage now. The nose will be blocked from bo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ENT doctor would have advised you to undergo endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty. Surgery is the treatment of choice , because your problem seems to be chronic (from longer duration). If you do not want surgery, then you can take nasal spray (a combination...  Read Full

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We usually recommend antiepileptic if someone has two seizures within 24 hours. In approximately 70% cases, we may not be able to identify any specific cause for seizures, for example - infection, stroke, focal cortical dysplasia (FCD) and tumor, as in your case. S...  Read Full