Q. I get cold frequently with fever and heavy head. Why?

Dr. Prasun Mishra
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I get frequent cold, and it will be severe with a fever of 102-103 degrees. My head remains heavy, and I have thick mucus when I blow my nose. I usually get sneeze with a change in outside temperature. Please help.

#

From the way you have described your symptoms which include recurrent fever, cold, and heavy head with nasal discharge. It is very apparent that you are suffering from chronic sinusitis, and whenever you have acute attacks it leads to the above symptoms.

For treatment:

1) During acute episodes when you have fever and cold, at that time you will need a seven days course of antibiotics and decongestants. Take Amoxy-Clav 625 mg (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) one tablet two times a day after food, and Wikoryl (Paracetamol, Phenylephrine, and Levocetirizine) one tablet twice a day. Along with this, you will need Nasivion drops, two drops twice a day for not more than seven days.

2) However, this will be a temporary treatment. You will have to get a CT (computed tomography) scan of the PNS (paranasal sinus) axial and coronal view done.

3) Based on the CT Scan reports, we can decide if you need just medical management or any surgical intervention in the form of surgery called FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgery).

|