Q. What is the treatment for constant cold and wheezing in a 1 year old kid?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My son is 1 year old and has constant cold. I have consulted my pediatrician also. He has been suffering from cold, and wheezing for the past one month. If I use Augmentin Duo, he is getting fever, wheezing and severe cough. So I use Azithral 200, Levolin, and the condition is somewhat fine. But he is not getting complete cure. Please help.

#

Your child may be suffering from what is known as hyper-reactive airway disease. Please get the child evaluated physically with chest X-ray and basic blood tests like CBC (complete blood count) and CRP (C-reactive protein) at least. Based on the reports, if it does not show any infection, you can start the child on a long term course of Montelukast 4 mg one dose at night along with syrup Levolin (Levosalbutamol) based on the degree of coughing. The child may also need intermittent nebulization with Duolin (Ipratropium, Levosalbutamol) and Budecort (Budesonide) as and when the need arises.

|