Q. I had two early miscarriages and would like to know the reason. Please interpret my test report.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I am 29 years old. I have been trying to conceive for the past one year but I got two miscarriages as early between seventh week of pregnancy. My doctor told me to do torch profile after second miscarriage where I was reactive for anti CMV, IgM and IgG as well as positive for anti HSV-I IgG. I was also given prothrombin time (PT) test which resulted in 13.6 seconds and INR= 0.99. I want to know whether my report is normal or having any problem? Why I am getting repeated miscarriages?

#

Torch profile is done when there are recurrent early miscarriages. This is basically a test for infection caused by toxoplasma, rubella, CMV (cytomegalovirus), and herpes simplex virus.

Your test report shows that your antibodies are positive for CMV and HSV. But torch infection causes only sporadic loss of pregnancy. Hence there are chances that it does not affect future pregnancy. This may have been the cause of your two early miscarriages. The other cause is bleeding disorders which are tested by PT and INR in your case that is normal.

Usually, the most common cause of early pregnancy loss is either chromosomal abnormalities or the cause is unknown. Next time plan your pregnancy get prenatal counseling done before conceiving. Start Folic acid and other vitamins before conception.

|