HSV (Herpes Simplex Virus) is the virus that causes herpes infection. There are two types of HSV, HSV-1, which causes cold sores and blisters around the mouth and face, and HSV-2, which mainly causes lesions in the genital region.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Though I had HPV vaccine, I am getting warts. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a viral wart on my forehead. Is it caused by HPV? In my teenage, I had warts on my thumb. Even, my doctor gave me vaccine for HPV. Is that worth or useless?  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is confirmative for a verruca plana, which is a plane viral wart. All warts are caused by human papilloma virus (HPV); however the strains causing it are different. On the face, it is usually due to H...  Read Full »

Can HSV infect my child with atopic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about HSV 1 and 2 and their infectious ability on surfaces outside the host. My sister has a cold sore and keeps touching everything without washing her hands. My child has atopic dermatitis. I fear him contracting an infection with HSV that can be life-threatening. T...  Read Full »

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and understood your concern. The herpes simplex virus in a cold sore is contagious. It can spread to others by kissing, sharing cups or utensils, sharing washed clothes, or touching the cold sore before it is healed. The virus can also spread ...  Read Full »

Are rash and lymph node swelling after oral sex signs of ARS?

Query: Hi doctor,I gave oral sex to a man, whose HIV status was unknown, six weeks ago. I have now rash under both armpits and a swollen lymph node in my neck. I am attaching pictures of the rash and the lymph node. Could this be ARS?  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Oral sex has the least possibility of ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). I do not think you have ARS. Do you have dandruff or an earache or a toothache? Do you have a history of a cold or a...  Read Full »

I am a 23-year-old female and had my second miscarriage, and reports showed HSV 1 and 2, reactive antibody levels as 14 AU /mL. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23-year-old female and just had my second miscarriage after one and half months of gestation. I checked for torch infection, and reports showed HSV 1 and 2; antibody reactive was 14 AU /mL. What will I do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) and it shows HSV 1 and 2 antibodies IgG reactive. So it means you are immune to it. Either you received the vaccine or had an infection in the past...  Read Full »

My HSV 1 IgG value is 49.20. Does it mean the infection is a recent one?

Query: Hello doctor, I took an STD panel test and got a positive result for HSV-1 IgG Ab test. My result was 49.20, but the reference range was 0.91 for negative and anything over 1.09 as positive. Does my 49.20 mean the infection is a very recent one because it is so high? I am confused about why it is s...  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HSV (herpes simplex virus) IgG (immunoglobulin G) antibodies indicate previous exposure and HSV IgM (immunoglobulin M) indicates current disease. The positive IgG can become significant only if you have active lesions. The type one usually causes oral lesions which ...  Read Full »

Can Levaquin be used for gonorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, I did IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 after four months of possible exposure, which was negative. Is it conclusive? Is there any need to do IgM test? If IgG is negative, can I consider that I am not infected?  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The time required for IgG (immunoglobulin G) antibodies to develop after the exposure to HSV (herpes simplex virus) is usually 21 to 42 days. A negative HSV IgG means that you have probably not been exposed to HSV. HSV IgM (immunoglobulin M) will tell whether yo...  Read Full »

I am a 28-year-old who recently had an outbreak of genital HSV-1 and want to know about the infection in detail.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male with no notable medical conditions or abnormalities. I used to get cold sores on my mouth when I was young, but have not had it in many years (I assume HSV-1 since oral HSV-2 is rare and since, at that point, I was not sexually active). Strangely, last week I ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Vilas Jawarkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. All herpes viruses enter into latency after primary infection, establishing lifelong infection. From their latency, herpesviruses can be reactivated, which has been correlated with a weakening of a host’s immune defenses against the virus to cause various diseases....  Read Full »

I have red color rashes on my penis, which appear in the morning and subside as the day progress. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am going through a stressful situation. Two years back, I had an encounter with my married school friend. A week after that, I got a rash that was slightly painful and non-itchy on my penis. I consulted a venereologist, and he prescribed some steroids and Allegra tablets. After using th...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. I have gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). With all the reports being negative, I think that the chances of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are ruled out. HSV-...  Read Full »

I have had frequent urination with a burning sensation after oral sex. Can I get infected by HSV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected oral sex for one minute 11 weeks ago. After two days, I noticed frequent urination, and after 12 days, slight pain or burning when urinating. I made three tests, two for chlamydia and gonorrhea and one for all microbes and HSV-1 and HSV-2, and HPV. All came back nega...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.Herpes molecular test detects the HSV (herpes simplex virus) RNA load and is the gold standard test in diagnosing herpes. You do not have a blistering sore on the genital which is usually present in herpes infection of the genital. So here, the possibility of herpes is ...  Read Full »

Is it possible to spread HSV-2 infection from an infected woman to a man during sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some questions about herpes. If a woman having HSV-2 who does not have a flare-up or showing any signs of HSV-2 currently has unprotected vaginal intercourse with a man who does not have HSV-2 or any other STD, then what are the chance of her infecting him with HSV-2? What are t...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing well. Coming back to your query. If a woman who has HSV-2 (herpes simplex virus-type 2), is not currently having a flare-up or showing any signs of having HSV-2, has unprotected vaginal intercourse with a man who does not have HSV-2 or any other ST...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.