Q. Why should not I dye my red hair?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I have natural red hair. I have been told that I should never dye my hair. Because, the natural hair color will never be the same. Is this true?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• You have natural red hair means you have more pheomelanin.
  • Hair color is determined by the amount of two pigments called eumelanin and pheomelanin, which present in your hair.
  • The amount of eumelanin in your hair gives you a range from blonde to black. A little amount gives blonde, an intermediate amount gives you brown and more of eumelanin gives out black. Pheomelanin gives red color to the hair.
  • The amount of eumelanin and pheomelanin present in your hair is genetically determined by the action of your MC1R gene (melanocortin 1 receptor).
  • These hairs as age progress can turn into brown and that is why you should not dye the red hair.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Can bleaching be really harmful to my hair?

Query: Hello doctor, I bleached my roots twice in the summer, and there was a ton of overlap, resulting in a lot of breakages. I thought the breakage subsided so I had extensions put in. I just recently had them taken out and realized that my hair has become super thin and I have lost a lot of them and my...  Read Full »