Q. Other than Sutent, which medicine can I opt for papillary renal cell carcinoma?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 24, 2019

My father is recently diagnosed with papillary renal cell carcinoma type 1, and he has no BP or sugar. However, he had undergone bypass surgery ten years ago. Our doctor has suggested targeted therapy is better for him as there is another mass found in the lungs too. Our doctor has prescribed Sutent 37.5 mg, to begin with, and slowly increase it to 50 mg.

However, due to our financial conditions, we cannot afford Sutent as it is pretty expensive for us. As we do not have any insurance. Is this the only drug available for this type of cancer, or do we have any other affordable and similar drugs with minimal side effects? We want to get your suggestion on this. Kindly help.

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

As per history given above. Your father as metastatic renal cell carcinoma. I would have liked to have few additional markers like his general condition, report of CBC (complete blood count) and LFT (liver function test), RFT (renal function test) to look at his risk score. In metastatic RCC, in first-line settings we have three TKI (Tyrosine kinase inhibitor) that are approved and commonly used. Namely, Sunitinib, Pazopanib, and Cabozantinib.

Sunitinib and pazopanib have almost the same progression-free and survival benefit. Cabozantinib has benefit in progression, but final overall survival was the same as sunitinib. Toxicities are bit different for Pazopanib with more chances of hepatitis, weight loss, and diarrhea. If you are not affording for Sunitinib, then I would say Pazopanib would be better as it is cheaper with similar benefits and slightly different toxicities. Cabozantinib is costlier and not yet available. I hope it helps. I would be happy to help you further if you have any more queries or questions regarding toxicities of these drugs.

TKI.

Nuclear Medicine, a Super Speciality

Article Overview: Nuclear medicine involves the use of radioactive substances in the diagnosis and treatment of various conditions. Read about its uses and advantages. Read Article

Dr. Santhosh Sampath
Nuclear Medicine Physician

What is Nuclear Medicine? Nuclear medicine is a medical speciality that utilizes radioisotopes for the purpose of diagnosis and treatment. It is considered as a branch of radiology. Radioisotopes are nothing but simple substances like iodine, fluorine (which are normally present in the human body) w...  Read Article

What does splenic hamartoma and left renal angiomyolipoma mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife had stomach pain and we had done an ultrasound and the doctor said to take a scan. On CT scan result it is showing splenic hamartoma, left renal angiomyolipoma. What does it means and what treatment we have to follow?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please attach the report of CT scan. Let me first evaluate it. See splenic hamartomas are usually benign that is non-cancerous. Similarly, are renal angiomyolipomas. They are removed with surgical excision if they are causing any hematological disorders, a decline in rena...  Read Full

I am on Effexor and Trazodone for depression and anxiety. Is Ashwagandha safe for me?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on Effexor 187 mg and Trazodone 50 mg at night for depression and anxiety. My depression and anxiety have been worse, and I did not want to keep going up on with more medicines. So I tried Ashwagandha 600 mg in the morning and have seen a great deal of help in my mood and anxiety...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Effexor (Venlafaxine) and Trazodone are good drugs for depression and anxiety but will have some side effects. You may take Ashwagandha 600 mg (morning and night), Centella Asiatica (morning and night) as a supportive therapy. There must be one hour gap between modern ...  Read Full

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now