Q. Is laparoscopy needed for retention cyst in the ovary?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33 year old woman weighing 56 kg and 5 feet tall. We are trying for a baby for more than a year. Recently I underwent treatment and have completed two cycles of Clomid with no positive outcome. I had another unsuccessful try at IUI along with Clomid. From the last couple of months, I am taking L-Thyroxine and Cabergoline tablets for high prolactin treatment. I had a regular menstrual cycle except from the past year where I gained 5 kg. This week I went for a scan on the second day of my menstrual cycle, and the doctor noticed a retention cyst of 6.4 x 3.7 cm in my left ovary, for which the doctor suggested laparoscopic surgery. Do I need laparoscopy? Can medicines cure it or can the cyst disappear on its own? I have attached my reports, kindly suggest what should be done.

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

• Laparoscopy will also increase the chance of pregnancy as the cyst must be causing some hormonal changes due to which there must be a delay in conceiving and once it gets cleared, the chance of pregnancy will increase.
  • Get started with Folic acid supplements and continue taking Thyroxine tablets, after consulting your specialist doctor.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|