Q. Is laparoscopy needed for retention cyst in the ovary?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
Published on Mar 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33 year old woman weighing 56 kg and 5 feet tall. We are trying for a baby for more than a year. Recently I underwent treatment and have completed two cycles of Clomid with no positive outcome. I had another unsuccessful try at IUI along with Clomid. From the last couple of months, I am taking L-Thyroxine and Cabergoline tablets for high prolactin treatment. I had a regular menstrual cycle except from the past year where I gained 5 kg. This week I went for a scan on the second day of my menstrual cycle, and the doctor noticed a retention cyst of 6.4 x 3.7 cm in my left ovary, for which the doctor suggested laparoscopic surgery. Do I need laparoscopy? Can medicines cure it or can the cyst disappear on its own? I have attached my reports, kindly suggest what should be done.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

• Laparoscopy will also increase the chance of pregnancy as the cyst must be causing some hormonal changes due to which there must be a delay in conceiving and once it gets cleared, the chance of pregnancy will increase.
  • Get started with Folic acid supplements and continue taking Thyroxine tablets, after consulting your specialist doctor.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Causes of Male Infertility

Article Overview: This article tells the various reasons for male infertility. Read Article

In about 35 to 52 percent of childless couples, the male partner is the cause for infertility. This percentage is increasing in number nowadays because of the changes in the lifestyle of most of the males. Many men consume alcohol occasionally, increased smoking rate among young people, physical in...  Read Article

We are undergoing infertility treatment.Will this treatment cause birth defects in our child?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 24 years old and she has PCOD. We have been trying to conceive for the past 2 years, but no result. We went to infertility specialist six months ago. He started the treatment through medicines and one IUI. But, all the treatments failed. Then, he decided to go for IVF....  Read Full »

According to scan, the fetus growth is lagging. Kindly clarify it.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is three months pregnant, and the doctor is telling that the baby is lagging in growth for about one month. The fetus heartbeat is good as per ultrasound, but the fetal growth is less. My wife's weight also dropped from 57 to 55 kg and recently, she is having stomach ache and back...  Read Full »