Q. Is it necessary to take Rhogam shot during pregnancy?

Dr. Smrita Singh

My daughter is pregnant. She is O negative, and she has a Jka antigen. They want to give her a Rhogam shot this weekend. I know it is a blood product. Is it safe?

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Rh incompatibility is a mismatch that occurs between the blood of the mother and the blood of the fetus. It happens when the mother is Rh-negative, and the fetus is Rh-positive. When Rh-negative blood is exposed to Rh-positive blood, the Rh-negative blood responds by producing antibodies. It attacks and destroys the Rh-positive blood cells. It leads to problems such as fetal anemia, which can cause a life-threatening condition known as hydrops fetalis, causing internal bleeding, heart and kidney failure, and shock. Rh immunoglobulin prevents the mother's immune system from attacking the baby’s blood. It is entirely safe, and it should be administered for the well being of the baby.

|