Q. My fiance's blood group and mine are different. Will it create problems to our baby's health?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

My blood group is AB+, and my fiance's blood group is AB-. Will different blood groups create problems in future, regarding baby's health or other issues?

#

• You and your fiance can marry without any problem. Do not worry regarding that.
  • The only thing that has to be done is checking the baby's blood group. As your blood group is Rh negative, so if the baby's blood group is Rh positive then it might lead to Rh incompatibility, which can create hemolytic disease in the second baby.
  • So, before delivery, anti-D (RHO clone) immunoglobulin is given as prophylaxis.
  • And it is better to get your fiance's peripheral smear and CBC (complete blood count) done, during antenatal pregnancy period. If hemoglobinopathy is suspected, then HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) can be done.

Hope your concern is solved.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|