Q. My fiance's blood group and mine are different. Will it create problems to our baby's health?

Published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 10, 2018

My blood group is AB+, and my fiance's blood group is AB-. Will different blood groups create problems in future, regarding baby's health or other issues?

Hematology Pathology
#

• You and your fiance can marry without any problem. Do not worry regarding that.
  • The only thing that has to be done is checking the baby's blood group. As your blood group is Rh negative, so if the baby's blood group is Rh positive then it might lead to Rh incompatibility, which can create hemolytic disease in the second baby.
  • So, before delivery, anti-D (RHO clone) immunoglobulin is given as prophylaxis.
  • And it is better to get your fiance's peripheral smear and CBC (complete blood count) done, during antenatal pregnancy period. If hemoglobinopathy is suspected, then HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) can be done.

Hope your concern is solved.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Is it safe to use Rhogam shot? Does it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is pregnant. She is O negative, and she has a Jka antigen. They want to give her a Rhogam shot this weekend. I know it is a blood product. Is it safe?  Read Full >>

Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rh incompatibility is a mismatch that occurs between the blood of the mother and the blood of the fetus. It happens when the mother is Rh-negative, and the fetus is Rh-positive. When Rh-negative blood is exposed to Rh-positive blood, the Rh-negative blood responds by pr...  Read Full

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do CBC (complete blood count) and a chest x-ray before starting Dexona (Dexamethasone) as it is a steroid. Also, there may be a history of childhood asthma (hyper-reactive airway disease) and it is better to be sure before giving this medicine. This mostly looks li...  Read Full

Will there be any problem in pregnancy if the couple have same blood group?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I am willing to marry my childhood friend. She is elder than me by five months, and our blood group is same, which is AB positive. Here are my questions: Will there be any problem during pregnancy? Any tests required to be done for ensuring no problem in future...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medical condition that is troubling is due to Rh incompatibility. There is no possibility of that in your case as you both are AB positive and hence, your blood groups are compatible. There is no problem medically. You need not go for any tests too. All the b...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now